1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Case & CPU question Building A System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BML, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

I'd like to build a system. What I have in mind for the CPU is an Athlon XP1500 with a motherboard that will support it and DDR RAM.

I have found a nice looking case take a look at the specs for this.Suntek STK9311

Will this case work with an XP processor on the motherboard?

About power, it comes with a 300w power supply. is this enough?

About cooling, well do the XPs require the same high level of cooling that other Athlons do? It is a fairly compact case; do you think it'll provide good airflow & cooling or if not, will I need an extra fan besides the CPU fan? if I need additional fans what type should I get?

Any input is greatly apppreciated.

2. Rockn

Rockn

The processor has nothing to do with the case style, it's the motherboard type that determines what type of case you should buy. I am sure it's an ATX motherboard so look for that spec. and look for extra case fans. I would also look for a good power supply and go with nothing less than 350 watts. I don't know what the XP Athlon requires for power. Go to www.coolerguys.com and get the best CPU cooler you can afford. HEAT is thine enemy!! I would suggest an Antec case....really sweet.

3. dk

dk

Are you buying online, if so what kind of price did you find, you can email me at [email protected], I am looking at the Gigabyte mainboard the one with the KT266a chipset in it, I also thought about the Asus board, but I dont' know yet.

4. BML

BML Thread Starter

Has anyone used this motherboard: Asus A7V266

Good choice or not? it is based on the Via KT266 chipset.

When it says on the specs that it will support a CPU of "1.4ghz+"
    that's kind of open-ended. Does that mean I could upgrade to say a 1.8 or 2.0ghz later if I get this board?

Also, AMD recommends that a 300w PS (as well as the 350w) can be used with the XP1500........... now I'm confused about which I should get!

5. brianF

brianF

can't say on that motherboard, I know several people running the epox 8kha+ with xp's and they really like them.

As far as the power supply, 300 minimum, higher if you want, makes no difference if you run a higher wattage supply, helps it you end up installing alot of additional devices that need power.

doh, sorry read the mobo number wrong

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice