1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

case fans question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilson44512, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wilson44512

wilson44512 Thread Starter

as you can see in the pic. i would like to know if i put a fan in the front of the case. would that help the air flow better. and would a 400 watt PS be enough for all the fans and the video card?
    were i have the red check mark. that would be the cpu. right? are them fans hard to change. it has the factory fan in it and i would like to put some thing better.

[​IMG]

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

More fans probably won't help your cooling with that PC very much.

A better solution would be to replace that generic power supply (possibly from Best Buy, or futureshop) with a QUALITY brand name one such as Antec, Fortron, Coolmax, super-flower, etc, and replace your cpu heatsink with a aftermarket one.

Personally, I wouldn't trust that PSU to power what you have now.

In fact, after you do what I mentioned above, then remove the slot fan off the back, and possibly that rear case fan. You might also think of tidying those cables up a bit.

3. Compiler

Compiler

I agree with gotrootdude for most part.

That SLOT cooler is directly under the GPU cooler and both are sucking air from the same area - kinda cancels each other out (Slot cooler, HD-COOLERS rarely DO ANYTHING to help) The 7600gs doesn't generate that much heat.

That is an aftermarket (bestbuy) power supply - if you JUST bought it, return it. I can't quite tell in the photo - but the label on the PSU is upsidedown - the the PSU itself UPSIDE DOWN? is there air holes/vents facing down? Most PSUs - the stickers are correct when you install the PSU correctly.

What is your heat temp? BIOS on the gateway may or maynot tell you.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, due to the hole spacing in the case, it's usually impossible to mount the P/S upside down. I do agree that it's odd the label is upside down, don't think I've ever seen that before. :)

5. wilson44512

i couldnt afford any thing better then that power supply. plus it was on sale when i bought it. its hard for me to buy really good stuff for my pc. i have had it for 6 month. the fan on it is facing down ward. do they make those Grey flat cables any smaller to help the flow? what do i need to know. so i can look for a better cpu fan? does this help

Attached Files:

• cpu.jpg
      cpu.jpg
      File size:
      33 KB
      Views:
  6. telegramsam

telegramsam

How much did that motherboard and CPU cost? How about the video card?

A cheap power supply can wipe all of that out.

There are round IDE cables available, yes. Before you do anything, however, you had better get the ticking time bomb off the back of your machine.

7. wilson44512

i bought this pc from gateway. its under full warrenty still. what ever goes bad in it that came with pc. gets replaced for free. it came with a 250w ps. and a fx5200 nvidia card. before this PS i had a 350w antec in it, and it went bad. so i put this in it. and i upgraded to a geforce 7600GS video card. the motherboard has already been replaced in this already. which is a good PS that dont cost to much?

8. brite750

brite750

wow thats a lot of stuff crammed in that really small case, I would think about getting a nice Antec case with 350watt psu, Dynex is junk imo, they dont even seem to make psuz any more. newegg has an Antec that is $60 with psu, with proper cooling, 120mm rear and 80mm air duct, larger so that wiring isnt an issue, front fan would do very little with that mess.

9. brite750

brite750

is that a prescot cpu? if so what are your temps idle and at full load, run prime95 for an hour or so and read temps using speedfan, that sucker has got to be able to boil eggs

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

11. brite750

brite750

that would be a step in the right direction;) i tell you i just dont like the look of that case, really crampped, especilly if thats a prescot core buried in there, wow, i'm surprised it even runs.

12. brite750

brite750

13. brite750

brite750

with larger case air can circulate better, plus note psu with 80mm fan, and 120mm rear fan to move warm air out

Attached Files:

14. wilson44512

i was planning on getting a bigger case. but i cant right now i need to wait for the warranty runs out in 7 month. because i was told if i change it now my warranty would be voided.

i like to thanks you all for your help. and after the warranty expires. i will get the better stuff

15. brite750

brite750

yeah, thats too bad, well its under warrantee and youve made changes so I know they wouldnt honor it anyway, you changed psu, youre looking to change heatsink which i know would void warrantee, so, at this point you can do what you want IMO.
    what are your temps, I asked earlier, load speedfan and prime95, both free programs, see what your temps are idle and when you run torture test, which runs your cpu at 100%, that will tell you if you need to do something or not

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice