1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Case Loud Vibration Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by P99, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. P99

P99 Thread Starter

My case just started getting a loud vibration which I can feel when I hold onto the side. This happened to me a few months ago but it sounded worse, it turned out to be a bad case fan. I can’t isolate what it is. I suspect that it’s the power supply but I’m not sure and I don’t have another one to substitute. I’m positive it’s not the one case fan I have running now.

An odd thing has always happened where my case makes a similar vibrating noise every time I make some kind of hardware change, it will go away after a few minutes. I inspected all of the fans and they all visually appeared fine except for the bottom PSU fan looked like it was running kind of slow and choppy compared to the others.

I think it’s the case but could this be something else before I buy a new PSU?

I’m not sure if it would be related but here are the voltages from BIOS:
    CPU Vcore 1.73V
    DDR Dim 2.48V
    3.3V 3.09V
    +5V 4.70V
    +12V 12.48V
    -12V -12.28V
    -5V -5.40V
    Voltage Battery 3.16V

Also could this cause harm to my system if I leave it running when there is this loud noise and case vibration problem?

Thanks.

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Yes and no to harming the computer. If it's the power supply going bad then you could fry other components when it fails. If you're absolutly sure as you stated that it isn't a case fan then you may want to look at your hard drive or procerssor fan as the culprit.

Software readings like that are pretty useless but those are generally acceptable as written.

You can sometimes isolate a sound in the case by opening the side and using a paper roll tube to listen to each device. Is the PSU fan in question or the processor fan clean or dusty? From your description of always happening when you install new hardware I'd check how the hard drive(s) is mounted.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

You could try poking a plastic cable tie into each fan until you find the one making the noise ;)

4. P99

P99 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. All of the fans look dusty. I felt around with the plastic end of a pen and the power supply was vibrating but I’m not sure if that’s normal. The rail that it’s sitting on wasn’t vibrating much. None of the other devices seemed to be vibrating when I felt around the case. When I shut my system down all of the fans stop spinning at different times. I noticed that the bottom PSU fan that appeared sluggish would stop spinning right when the loud noise stopped when turning the power off. So I’m pretty sure that the problem is the PSU.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

Would definitely replace it with a quality PSU immediately before if fails and takes other components with it. Bummer, but be glad you caught it now. Also clean all the components of dust. Dust is the killer of electronics. Careful vacuuming will do nicely. Use a small brush to dislodge dust and suck it up.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/341399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice