1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Case Modding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RSM123, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Hi,

Just looking for feedback either way - I just had to remove the side panel from my pc to take out the cmos battery after some clumsy meddling with my bios settings.:eek: :D

However after having rectified the above, with side still off - I saw in AIDA32 that my intrnal temps (for all 3 of the readings it gives) have dropped 10c. They were previously 34c Mobo / and 44 / 46 c for Cpu and Aux. This on an Athlon 2600.

I don't want to leave it off permanently due to risk of dust / spillage etc - so would like to know if it would be feasible to have a friend drill holes in the panel before replacing it ?

2. Chum

Chum

Possibly you need more fans etc.

I found a great deal on a case that is very efficient...here the 6th and 7th one down...And you can also get a factory made windowed side panel for it!

3. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The sys. temps are not an issue I have had no lockups or any such. As I have this Athlon 2600 for net surfing / word processing etc, my other 2600 is currently out of action owing to defunct mobo, and I will be stripping out to convert to a P4 when the prices drop further. Just wondered whether the above would be feasible.

Thanks again for your time.

4. Ash_11

Ash_11

5. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Ash11

Thanks. Although this comp. is only a few months old, the case is bog standard. It only has a row of vents at the bottom of the removable side panel. Like you, I have seen diagrams online indicating the correct way to install things like front case fans so they draw air in, which is then expelled from the back.

Was just pondering the above idea.

As with 'Chum' - thanks for your feedback.

6. suesman

suesman

Well drilling holes alone won't actually get you that much more air into the case. If you have an open space for a fan, I would go that route. Remember balancing the intake & exhuast is important, as you can actually create a vacuum so that there will be hardly any airflow at all.

If you just feel the need to cut holes, I recommend cutting it in a place that will introduce fresh air into the case.

The TechTV article is very good actually.

I'm in the process of modding an old Gateway case at the moment. Coming along quite nicely. :D

There are actually a ton of modding sites out there. A Google search for "case mods" revealed 488,000 in 0.11 seconds. :D

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

As far as increasing air flow in the case, if a good heat sink, round cables, and fans don't do it, I'd just get a different case. I used to be heavily into modding. But it takes a lot of time and money to alter a case that wasn't designed well, and good cases aren't very expensive anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I still mod, but mostly with model paint, and lighting. ;)

Take this into account, cost of modding and time wasted= $27, average air-flow decent case (not aluminum) = $40. $13 more dollars and a whole lot less work.

8. zeddy

zeddy

A nice exaust fan would work well, get as big a one as you can fit to the rear of the case.

9. Ash_11

Ash_11

I would have to go with gotrootdude one this one, you can get some really nice cases at low prices nowadays.

10. suesman

suesman

Yea but laying down the plastic isn't near as fun as modding. :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice