1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Case problem with temperature

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by schoolwork, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schoolwork

schoolwork Thread Starter

My computer case has a bult in temperture mointer that displays the temperature at the front of the case but now it seems to just display L degrees. Before it used to display the temperature in about 10-15 degrees.

Below is an image of the case. All is the same expect that the fan on the left side is not there. It was replaced with a panel with no fan. Is it okay that there is no side fan there, will that cause the case to get too hot.

[​IMG]

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

schoolwork
    I am not quite sure what you mean by L degrees unless the LCD is not functioning properly so lets start from the beginning.

A Temperature monitor such as yours most likely has a probe. This probe is a rather thin sensor that can be placed just about anywhere the builder wishes it to be. Since the critical temperature is the processor many are placed between heatsink and processor or in the heatsink fins near base. Now most of these Digital units are powered by a battery and could start fading in intensity as battery diminishes.
    If your digital readout is displaying an L it could possibly be stating that the battery is Low, however not knowing the internals of the sensor unit I am only guessing.
    You may want to replace the displays battery and see if all is well.

Now for Case side fans. They are very nice to have because the provide added ventilation to the Video card and processor but are not a necessity in many units. If your unit has other fans front and back you may not have any problems at all.

I also have a question..... Why was the case side panel replaced with a non-fan unit?

Dave

3. schoolwork

When I brought the unit I did not know that there was a side fan panel. I only just found out that there was one when I went online looking for a picture of the case and now I wonder if it is necessary. As for fans, I only know that there is one at the back. If that temperature monitor glows I think that it is at the bottom since it glows there when I turn off my computer. Finally, now this morning it is displaying the temperature again.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

schoolwork
    Why your Temp Monitor is being intermittant I do not know. What is the current temp being displayed?

Dave

5. schoolwork

16.5 degrees.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Schoolwork
    16.5 celsius = 61.7 Degrees which is below average room Temperature. I suspect your Monitors probe is not on or near the Processor because that would seem rather cool for a running CPU. You may wish to remove the side panel and see where the probe wires run too. Be careful to shut down power, disconnect plug, and then do the investigation.

Dave

7. schoolwork

I am not sure about opening the case since I have never done that before. Should I get the side fan?

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

schoolwork
    Not knowing where you are sampling the temp from (Which is very low on the heat spectrum) no-one can determine if a side fan is required. I can tell you this that a side fan only can help cool the inside components. Keep in mind many case companies have models that are divided into catagories that do not have side fans, Have side fans with half see through and fans with whole side see through. Other than the fans functional cooling affect the only reason for the see through is display of neat neon visual effects if installed.

Dave

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless he's running that machine in a refrigerator, I doubt that temperature reading is working at all! It's pretty hard to imagine anything on the interior of the case being below room temperature! I think diagnosing what's happening using that obviously flawed indication is a waste of time. :rolleyes:

10. schoolwork

With ASUS Probe the CPU and MB temperature is about 35C which is about 20C more than what the case temperature monitor says. Also, while is the Power and Chassis fan at 0 or not running.

11. Rockn

Rockn

Well no kidding....the case temp should NEVER be the same temp as the CPU because it's measuring the abient air temerature where the monitoring probe is. The CPU temp is measured at a sensor directly under the processor. You stated that you don't have a chasis fan so that the reason the RPM is 0

12. schoolwork

So the chasis fan is the fan that is supposed to be on the side. Then what is the power fan.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The power supply fan is in the powersupply-thats that box that converts ac current to dc current and drops it to 12, 5, and 3.3 volts that all your hardware feeds on. Must powersupplies don't monitor RPMs of their fan so that's likely why its reading 0. To see if its working look at the top back of your case - you should see the fan spinning in the powersupply if its working.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice