1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cassette to PC recording works only via mic input!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by LAPDAlert, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LAPDAlert

LAPDAlert Thread Starter

Hi, I am trying to rip my cassettes to a PC but it doesn't work. My configuration is -
    Sony double cassette RX100AV system - works as the speakers and is also connected to my PC via Line In for recording. (connections made via the typical RCA to phono mini-jack 1/8 cables)
    Sound card is Mad Dog 4.1 channel prowler.
    When i connect the stereo to the sound card via line in, it doesn't record, it works only if its connected through the Microphone input.

I ahve played around with the Recorder control in Volume Control window, but no matter what I select as my source, the only thing that works is when i have it connected via Microphone.

I do want to use a mic for voice chat as well, so this configuration doesn;t work for me..why can;t the Line in work as expected?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. thecoalman

thecoalman

Make sure the aux/line-in enbaled in the soundcard configuration. I know by default on a soundblaster it is not.

3. desertdragon

desertdragon

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Because Audacity can connect to the computers line input ….
    LAPDAlert didn’t say what software was being used to do the recording.
    Audacity can also edit the recording … and even remove any objectionable tape hiss or background noise.

Audacity can even record anything your computer is playing ….
    Can you hear the Cassettes playing thru the Line Inputs ??

Just checking .. but you should see something like this when selecting the Line Input….

Attached Files:

• REC.gif
      REC.gif
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
  6. LAPDAlert

LAPDAlert Thread Starter

thank you all for your replies -
    thecoalman: how do I ensure that? I have checked the Recording Control and only Line=In is selected.
    desertdragon: I tried AUDACITY, same problem.
    MysticEyes: That is the URL i followed while setting it up.
    Noyb: I have tried Nero SoundTrax, "Spin It Again" and now Audacity.

The bottom line is that when I connect the stereo via Lin-In it doesn't record. Works only if it connected via the Mic input.

Can it be the sound card drivers or configuration like thecoalman suggested?

thanks again!

7. desertdragon

desertdragon

I used Audacity in my Dell Laptop, and unfortunately the laptop has no Line Input, but has MIC input. In this case, I built a LOW Pass filter consisting of series and parallel resistor. The small black box has Input from the Line Out of any audio system (ie audio mixer, audio cassette) and has Output going to the Mic In of my laptop.

8. thecoalman

thecoalman

I can't help you specifically with your card because I have a SB but if you open up the SB configuration you'll find this panel. In my case the line-in is disabled. You'll should have a similar control panel.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• sb.gif
      sb.gif
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
  9. 104456

As suggested you need to ensure the line in is not muted either in windows master volume control or a third party application like sound blasters.
    You will not be able to recored and chat at the same time as the soundcard will transfer all audio input into the same channel as is being recorded.

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice