1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CAT 5 Cable , Split in to two. Not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spudy12, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

i know splitting LAN cable in to two and taking one branch off to one place and one to another is NOT a good thing to do, but at the time it was the only thing we were able to do.

The problem is it is all under the floors and practically un accessable.

We ran a CAT5 cable from one office to another when it was being redone and also wanted another cable going from office one to another office, trouble was office one was already done and decorated with only one socket and cable coming in.

The cable is then split half way along and another cable was attached in. (sorry this is really hard to describe!)

Office 1 ---------------------------------------------------> office 2
    |
    |
    |
    \/

Well anyway, the cable to office 3 is now redundant and not being used and isnt connected up. The trouble is when we connect up either ends from office 1 to office 2, there is power down each cable (tested with a volt meter) but we can not get a LAN connection on a computer or router.

We have tried everything we can think of short of tearing the floor up.

Anyone any ideas why it wont work?

Sorry if its not very clear, and sounds like a load of waffle, thanks in advance..

Spud

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

When you say "split" do you mean actually cut, and then extended by twisting bare leads together?

3. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

Yes the cable was cut, but instead of twisting bare ends togeather, i believe it went in to a splitter block. The pairs had to be untwisted to do this so does that mean one reason it might not be working, is interferance from it being un twisted?

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Untwisted data cable can throw everything horribly out of spec.

There's a rather precise way of cutting and joining cable.

5. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

Yes i gathered it can, it was a rather last minuet decision using builders who knew nought about CAT5 cables and i was away at this point in time. :(
    Anyway of rectifying it without pulling floors up?
    or is it easy to lay new cable instead?

What is the precise way of doing it if i ever need to again?

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I got from reading above that the wires are spliced together so they go to three rooms, which you have found doesn't work.

You could disconnect the wires where they are spliced, and crimp RJ-45 plugs to each cable, then plug them into an ethernet switch. This assumes the cables are long enough, and there is a power source for the ethernet switch.

If the cables aren't stapled down under the floor, it might be possible to attach a new cable to the old, and then pull it through to the office ends. I have done this when I had one ethernet port in the wall and needed to add two more.

One more thought since the people doing the wiring didn't know CAT5 wiring. The pairs must be wired correctly so that pins 1&2, 3&6, 4&5 and 7&8 are paired, or it won't work. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Network-Cable

7. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

i know that it was paired via colours, eg brown went to brown ect at the splice.. and when wiring it up at either end it has been wired correctly as i had to do this part, and on the four sets of other cables it all works.

My plan is, if i can't get it working, i will pull the floor up at some point and disconnect the un used '3rd office cable'. My plan is to the wire the RJ45 connectors on to the disconnect splice and then use one of these (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...a=X&ei=HYE9TcCFGYmLhQe5w7DzCg&ved=0CFcQ9QEwAw) RJ45 to RJ45 blocks.

Is this likely to work?

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Yes that should work.

9. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

okay, thanks for clearing that up for me :)

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

You should really hire a technician with data wiring experience. I wouldn't trust my business with "lick and a prayer" approaches.

11. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

haha, don't worry its not a business, just my mad house :)
    and the other cables i did myself all work perfect :p (taught myself how to wire them up off good old google, and tested it on a small length first, so i kind of have the hang of it now. Just at the time the last cable was put in we made a very rushed decsion about putting in an extra cable at a late stage, honestly not a good idea!)

Thanks for the help!

Spud

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice