Cat 5e cable not going beyond 100mbps

rchircop19

Hello. Around 8 years ago I had passed a 30m cat5e cable going from one end of my home to the other. At the time my internet speed was just 15 mbps. I only realised I had an issue with the cable when I recently upgraded my speed to 500 mbps. I checked the speed with different cat5e cables and they all gave me speeds close to 500mbps. What could be the problem please? Was I sold a faulty cable or has it reached the end of its lifetime? Is there anything I can try to see where the problem lies? Thanks a lot.

Ramon

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You didn't provide any description of your computer, so we don't know if its ethernet device is capable of speeds faster than 100 Mbps.

If you believe that 100'/30m CAT5e cable has reached its end of life, have you tried a different one?

------------------------------------------------

rchircop19

You didn't provide any description of your computer, so we don't know if its ethernet device is capable of speeds faster than 100 Mbps.

Have you tried using a different 100'/30m CAT5e or CAT6 cable?

The laptop I used got speeds close to 500mbps with a 2m, 3m and 10m cable.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well Cat5 supports up to 100Mbps so perhaps you have a Cat5 cable. Does the cable itself show any indication on what cable it is?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes it does. There's written cat5e on it. That's why I'm asking.
Is this cable going direct to the router/switch or are you using wall jacks?

Maybe the wiring is not connecting flush to the metal pins within the jacks. Try recrimping new jacks.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You never answered my question in post #2.

If you believe your 8-year old 30m CAT5e cable is not working properly, have you tried a different CAT5e cable of the same length?

some tips you can try. ( read it all before you try )

( cat 5e should be able to transfer up to 1000MB/s and its properbly as fast as your standard LAN hardware can handle since not many people have faster LAN internet since you require more expensive hardware and cables, and routers not many people need that yet.)

1). its rare cables stop working especially if you dont touch them so i dont think that is the problem.
They typical only break or get damaged if you make a sharp bend on them, example roll over them with your office chair, or if example dirt get into the male connector. OR maybe mice or rat eat them ;-)
( OR if they are directly exposed to sunlight and are outside then they might wear out as well ).

2). Try to move your cable in your router or switch that is connect to your computer to another port..
it happen after x years that a port on a switch start making trouble.
Example if the cable is in possition 2 in your router or switch then move it to possition 3 both places.

3). When we talk about networks then be aware that networks automatic figure out what speed/handshake that is needed to send/recieve data.. It could be that a setting in either your router or in your lan card in your pc was changed so one of these places send data using a slower method and that is the problem that limit you from getting max speed.
I recommend to write down your wifi name and password, and then maybe reset your router and reset your switch and to reset your LAN adapter hardware in your pc. Put everything back to basic.
( tip on the back of your router there is properbly a factory code you need to use to login.
in your browser write example 192.168.0.1 and your username is almost always
"admin"
And the code is on the back of your router, or the code is also "admin". Change code when you can.

You can also before you do this test if its only your PC that have problem but other pc in the house maybe run perfect, then you know its properbly your pc settings that is wrong and not your internet hardware.
4). If all devices/computers in your home run slow on other cables as well, then it would be that your internet connection maybe need to be fixed by your ISP/internet service provider and calibrated. Sometimes they can do this over the phone, sometimes they need to come and mesure.
My own internet get bad performance every year when it get Really hot or Cold, then my cable internet need to be calibrated/fixed by the ISP. ( really annoying ).

5). IF you are using windows 10 version 2004 then be aware if you are using a compatible driver that is designed for windows 10 version 2004.. Els that might result in speed and stability problems.. i know since i had that problem my self and i solved it by buying a 15usd cheap simple LAN pcie express card and connect my Lan cable to that and it instant worked much better.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Small nit pick. In the world of networking, the difference between using a "B" and a "b" in describing network transfers is significant. Network speeds are always discussed with a little "b". 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 1 Gbps, 10 Gbps, etc.

Cables can go bad over time and it depends on how the cable is installed or what it's exposed to. One of the RG6 cables in my vacation home went bad. I did nothing to the cable and it was pre-run during construction of the home. The cable checked out fine when I had my ISP initially set up service when I moved in. Things went down hill recently in network performance. The tech sent out said there was too much noise on the cable. Fortunately, the sub contractor did the right thing and ran a second RG6 line which checked out fine. If that wasn't done, I'd be looking at tearing holes into my walls to run new cabling. And this is a lesson for those pulling cable to run at a minimum of two cables.

The OP has not provided any information as to how the cable is run and any exposure to environmentals.

You don't need to factory reset your router to do a check on line speed negotiation with wired connections. None of that is controlled by any settings in the router. A firmware update may fix any negotiation problems.

rchircop19

You never answered my question in post #2.

If you believe your 8-year old 30m CAT5e cable is not working properly, have you tried a different CAT5e cable of the same length?

If I buy a new cable it will be cat 6 or cat 7. I'm sure a new 30m cable would solve the problem but passing the cable will be hell.

rchircop19

some tips you can try. ( read it all before you try )

( cat 5e should be able to transfer up to 1000MB/s and its properbly as fast as your standard LAN hardware can handle since not many people have faster LAN internet since you require more expensive hardware and cables, and routers not many people need that yet.)

1). its rare cables stop working especially if you dont touch them so i dont think that is the problem.
They typical only break or get damaged if you make a sharp bend on them, example roll over them with your office chair, or if example dirt get into the male connector. OR maybe mice or rat eat them ;-)
( OR if they are directly exposed to sunlight and are outside then they might wear out as well ).

2). Try to move your cable in your router or switch that is connect to your computer to another port..
it happen after x years that a port on a switch start making trouble.
Example if the cable is in possition 2 in your router or switch then move it to possition 3 both places.

3). When we talk about networks then be aware that networks automatic figure out what speed/handshake that is needed to send/recieve data.. It could be that a setting in either your router or in your lan card in your pc was changed so one of these places send data using a slower method and that is the problem that limit you from getting max speed.
I recommend to write down your wifi name and password, and then maybe reset your router and reset your switch and to reset your LAN adapter hardware in your pc. Put everything back to basic.
( tip on the back of your router there is properbly a factory code you need to use to login.
in your browser write example 192.168.0.1 and your username is almost always
"admin"
And the code is on the back of your router, or the code is also "admin". Change code when you can.

You can also before you do this test if its only your PC that have problem but other pc in the house maybe run perfect, then you know its properbly your pc settings that is wrong and not your internet hardware.
4). If all devices/computers in your home run slow on other cables as well, then it would be that your internet connection maybe need to be fixed by your ISP/internet service provider and calibrated. Sometimes they can do this over the phone, sometimes they need to come and mesure.
My own internet get bad performance every year when it get Really hot or Cold, then my cable internet need to be calibrated/fixed by the ISP. ( really annoying ).

5). IF you are using windows 10 version 2004 then be aware if you are using a compatible driver that is designed for windows 10 version 2004.. Els that might result in speed and stability problems.. i know since i had that problem my self and i solved it by buying a 15usd cheap simple LAN pcie express card and connect my Lan cable to that and it instant worked much better.
Thanks for all your tips. I tried several devices and even a gigabit router. The maximum speed is only 100mbps.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If I buy a new cable it will be cat 6 or cat 7.
I agree.
Go with CAT6 instead of CAT5e, although both are fine for gigabit speeds.
I'm sure a new 30m cable would solve the problem but passing the cable will be hell.
I wasn't aware that 30m cable is routed through the walls of your house.
I was assuming it was snaking through your house and could be laid out or picked up at will.

----------------------------------------------------

TerryNet

Terry
100 Mbps uses 4 wires. Greater than 100 Mbps uses all 8 wires. So, one broken wire or loose or corroded connector could be the cause of your problem.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
100 Mbps uses 4 wires. Greater than 100 Mbps uses all 8 wires. So, one broken wire or loose or corroded connector could be the cause of your problem.
Agreed, in which case recrimping the cable with new jacks should fix the issue... if it doesn't then the break is in the cable elsewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online