1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cat 6 wires

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Daxter123, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daxter123

Daxter123 Thread Starter

I would like to know how to install a male cat 6 end on my cat 6 wire, and what tools I need.

thanks

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professionnel, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 8138 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (72 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (1708 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0
    Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

2. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    HI,
    Can you be specific on where you will install it ? And please take a picture of your wire.

3. Daxter123

Daxter123 Thread Starter

I would like to link it from my router to my computer.

[​IMG]

4. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    you need two rj45 and a crimping tool. For the color combination would be white orange,orange,white green,blue,whiteblue,green,white brown, brown. Do you know how to crimp it ? If not you can watch it
    at youtube.

5. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    Cut the exact length of wire that you only need. And have it 1 meter allowance incase you will fail at crimping.

6. Daxter123

Daxter123 Thread Starter

Yes, I have seen many videos on how to do it, just wated to make sure it was right. And it is, I couldn't find the end pieces aside the cable, thanks a lot Grey!

7. Daxter123

Daxter123 Thread Starter

I also happen to have a piece that my uncle gave me along with the cable, I don't remember why. I don't seem to need it.
    [​IMG]

8. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    You won't need that one anymore. Your wire is long enough I assume and what you need is 2 rj45 that is crimped correctly with the cat6 cable.

9. Daxter123

Daxter123 Thread Starter

Maybe it was for a wall plug? Because my computer is across the house, and a level higher

10. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    No. Its a female connector of your rj45. If you want to extend the length of your wire. Buy another one of that because i think that one cant be use anymore and crimp it in the cable and follow the color in B(lower color). you can also watch it at youtube.

11. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    It can also be a wall plug. I forgot haha sorry

12. Daxter123

Daxter123 Thread Starter

Also, is there a difference between cat5e rj45 connectors and cat6 rj45 connectors?

13. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    No. The only thing that are different are the wires. But they are just the same. They just differ in quality.

14. Daxter123

Daxter123 Thread Starter

Ok thank you for everything but one more thing, I looked for rj45 connectors in my nearest tech store and they mostly sell them in 50 or 100 packages. I also noticed the 100 pack was cheaper than the 50 units one, does that mean they can be of different qualities? Its rj45 8PC8 right?

15. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I used the standard crimping tool and RJ45 connectors until I came across this:

https://www.platinumtools.com/products/crimpers/ez-rjpro-hd-crimp-tool-100054c/

[​IMG]

As you can see, you pull the wires through the RJ45 male end and then the crimping tool crimps the end to lock the cable in the connector and then cuts the wires off at the other end. If you haven't done terminations like this before, you have to be very careful about making sure the wires go all the way through the end of the RJ45 connector and under the metal contacts. I've done numerous terminations and occassionally I mess up where a wire doesn't go all the way through to the end. When I switched to this system, no more issues. It's more expensive but you're guaranteed to have proper terminations.

Daxter123 likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice