Solved Cat 8 ethernet cables

renegade600

I was thinking about replacing all of my ethernet cables between modem to router/switch to several computers and smart hubs to catagory 8. Currently using 5e and 6. The longest cable I will need is 25 feet. My internet service is 200Mbps. Router is Nighthawk x6 n8000. Would there be any advantage to this? or just a waste of money? I am not a gamer but am a streamer since I cut the cord. Though I have wifi, I am wanting to use it only for smart devices, phones and tablets.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think this would be a waste of money and total overkill for your home situation. 5e & 6 are more than adequate for this task, since there's no way your hardware will be able to utilise Cat-8 to its fullest.

Couriant

James
Agreed. Cat7 / Cat8 are overkill for a home network and in some cases, Cat6 is also overkill. Having said that, for your setup I would probably go all Cat6 if you need a network that's fast and fluid with plenty of bandwidth for a lot of users/devices transferring data around at the same time ( i.e. streaming). It can also 'futureproof' your network if/when ISPs offer 10Gbps to home users.

But Cat5e can still do the job if you need to save money on cabling.

renegade600

I kind of thought it would be overkill but since I am not really a network person, I had to ask. Thanks for the help and advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online