1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cat5e cable won't connect to ethernet port in router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mbflyer, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbflyer

mbflyer Thread Starter

Our house was pre-wired with cat5e cable to all rooms but we have never tried to use them until we had fios installed this week. Each room has an outlet with 2 rj45 and 2 coax. The Fios router was installed in the closet next to the wire distribution center and when I plug in the cat5e cable (with an rj45 connector ) into the router nothing happens - no light on the router indicating that it recognizes the connection. The ethernet connection in the room has the same result - the pc, laptop and xbox 360 all were all connected and none of them recognized the ethernet connection. I pulled out the outlet plate in the room and the cat5e cable is numbered the same as the cat5e cable on the other end in the wire distribution closet, and I see that they have split the cat5e wiring for ethernet and phone, 2 pairs to one rj45, one pair to the other and left the brown pair out, which sounds right based on what I have read online about splitting cat5 wiring for phone/ethernet into an rj45 connector? But, the online instructions also say that each end of the cable should match, and the connector that goes into the wireless router has all 8 wires attached to the rj45. I would really like to take advantage of the ethernet wiring in the upstairs rooms so that I don't have to buy a wireless card for the pc and the xbox, but am not sure about how to check the rj45 connections. I borrowed a cable tester from my neighbor and it shows a red light which indicates a problem, but I don't know on which end of the cable. Then there is the crossover cable that I read about online, where you switch pins if you are not connecting to a hub. So, is a router a hub???? As you can see, I am not a networking expert but am trying to understand what the problem is before calling in the pros who charge $90 for a service call and $140 an hour. I'm wondering if I have to buy the tools to strip the cable and punch the wires into the new connector if I may be better off calling someone to do it for me, or just buying the wireless cards. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't need a cross-over cable. A hub, switch and router are similar devices; you do not use a cross-over to connect a computer to any of those. That's the easy part. :)

You are correct that you only need 4 wires for ethernet (gigabit = 1000 Mbps, however, uses 8). If the correct 4 wires are connected at each end, and they are not broken in the middle somewhere, they should work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice