1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cat5e wiring - internet speed problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FloridaComputer, Sep 4, 2019.

1. FloridaComputer

FloridaComputer Thread Starter

This one is very perplexing and I need some help, suggestions to tackle it.

I have 500mbps at my router and I have 500mbps coming out of my switch. There are 8 Cat5e lines running into various rooms. The router and switch are located in a separate room with cables going into the ceiling (nothing over 150 ft long). The problem is the speed at all of the wall jacks is less than 100mbps (about 85mbps). I used a wire tracking meter to test the cables. Here is the perplexing issue -

At the switch the cables follow the T568B method. The wall jacks follow the same however the meter reads 1,2,5,4,3,6,7,8 sequence. In order to get the meter to read 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 in order at each end I have to switch the Green-White wire with the Blue-White wire at the wall jack. This means the the twisted pairs are cross-wired but that does provide a "straight" cable on the test. However when I run the speed test with that connection the speed is around 10mbps. The meter dose not show any shorts or open connections. I don't know why I can't get the speed at the wall jacks or why the cables do not test in proper sequence. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Using a continuity meter such as what you're using will only get you so far. It will only verify you have the wires pinned correctly at the ends. It does not test the quality of the connections or the cable. To do this, you have to purchase an actual cable tester which sends test signals and not just send a voltage down a wire to see if it pops up on the other end. The cable tester will see if there are any line noise issues or if the cable can support carrying frequencies required for each speed spec.

Professionals use these cable testers to validate their installs before having the customer sign off on their work. If you don't see any issues at the connector ends, then unfortunately, it's somewhere along the cable run where someone may have stapled the cabling too tightly against the wall studs. I had this very issue at my vacation home but with an RG6 coax run. The cable guy came out to test the cable and found unacceptable levels of noise on the line which necessitated a new cable run. Fortunately, the builder had a second RG6 line pulled with the one I was using for cable Internet. We tested that line and it came out clean. So I dodged a bullet there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice