1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Catalog

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by councilman, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. councilman

councilman Thread Starter

I have a pricing catalog that I would like to put on the Internet for my customers. Any suggestions? I would like the format to be similar to my price book with contents and page numbers.
    Could the book be scaned in and accessed in a book type format?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ted

2. suzi

suzi

Are you saying you want a website or page for your catalog? I'm not clear exactly what you want to do. To have your catalog on the internet, you need space on a web server, it could be a free host or paid host. You have to have a URL for your site or page, which depends on what kind of host you have. If you have a free host, like Geocities, the url will have your geocities id in it. If you want your own domain, you have to register a domain name and get web hosting service.

I think there is catalog software for websites - I have seen references to it, not sure where it would be. A google search would locate it. I don't know about scanning it in - you would have to have a great OCR program to do that. Pages on the web have to be in html code. If you have good OCR, you can scan into Word and create a html document from Word, but OCR does not ususally do well with images, so if your catalog is all text, it might work.

That's about all I can tell you without knowing more about what you want to do.

3. councilman

I'm looking for the easiest format for my customers to be able to view my price book online. I would like to keep that format as close to the experience of reading my price book as possible since they are already used to looking at the book.

4. suzi

suzi

You might need a web designer - unless you are going to learn html and web design yourself. I'm sure what you want can be done, but I don't know what else to tell you.

Like I said before, you have to have web space, a url or domain name, and then have your site or pages coded and uploaded to your web space. And unless you are planning to do it yourself by learning html or using web authoring software such as Dreamweaver, then you need a web designer.

I know how to use Dreamweaver and a little html, but I don't know how to do a catalog. You might surf some web designers sites and email some of them to see if they can do catalogs.

Or do a google search for online catalogs or something like that and see what you can find.

5. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

If you need a webdesigner.

And I'm a professional webdesigner/coder.

If you want a quote or more information you can email me at [email protected]

Otherwise I can answer some quetsions about html here on the forums

-Snake~eyes

6. councilman

Thanks for your replies. It looks as though the real question is what type of digital book formats are out there? Like for example I know of adobe. Anyone have a format that they prefer for reading books or catalogs online?

7. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

Generally people will prefer to use their browser to view catalogs and what not.

But if thats not how you want to do it then the best and most used/preferred way is adobe acrobat reader.

8. suzi

suzi

9. suzi

suzi

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice