1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Catalyst driver install problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ian80, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

My ATI Radeon 9200 recently started going wonky on my. Screen was going black during games, and I was getting a LOT of UVC recoveries.

Anyway, I figured the first I'd do would be to update and reinstall the driver. So I got the latest catalyst file, and I uninstalled the old radeon driver. However, now when I try to reinstall the driver, I get the 'severe' warning that:

"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

So, what does that mean and what should I do?

PS - Also, while troubleshooting with my graphics card before deciding to get a new driver, my internet explorer 'favourites' thumbnails went funny on me. Thay looked deformed and pixelated. I've restarted many times, still there. Thing is, only about half of them went weird, the other half still looks fine. Any ideas?

2. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Hi again,

Okay, so I've been doing research on this for the last two hours. I am still nowhere near having a solution.

I sort of get the impression that I should be updating my motherboard driver; that maybe it will help. I also understand that it can totally screw up your machine if you do it wrong. So, do you think it could help my situation? And is it worth it?

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Are you useing the newest drivers? If so have you installed the .net 1.1 framework useing windows update?

4. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

newest drivers for what? my motherboard? my graphics card?

And no, I have not gotten that .net thing. I'll try going to do that now.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

For the newest catalyst drivers, if your useing the one with the control panel, you need the .net framework.. It's posted on ATI's website.

6. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Shoot. I must have missed that. That would have saved me a lot of time. I'll let you know if it works.

ALTHOUGH, I tried installing the original driver that came with the card, and I got the same message. So, I am not too hopeful actually.

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If not, reboot into safe mode by pressing F8 while booting, then enter the control panel/ device manager, and remove all the display adaptors then reboot again.

8. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Awesome, it worked. Drivers installed. However, the original problem still isn't fixed.

Basically, when I play a game, I just get a black screen and nothing happens. After awhile, it crashes to windows and I get the VPU Recovery error.

It only started happening about 3 monthes ago. Before that, all was fine. At first, the problem happened only occasionally. Now I can't even play a game. Any ideas?

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Sounds like a directx error. Try hitting the start button, run, type in "DXDIAG". run the test and see if it shows errors. Maybe updating to Directx 9.0c would help.

10. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Okay, well at least we're getting somewhere.

First, I installed 9c. Then, I ran the two tests. The 'draw' test works fine. The first two 3D ones work fine, and then the third one freezes up. I have to CTRL ALT DEL to get out and then just close down DXDIAG, so I can't be given a report on what is going on. But again, it is the VPU Recovery that is comeing up.

11. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Maybe we should get this thread moved over to software. Sounds like we've discovered a directx flaw.. I'm gonna ask for it to be moved over there..

12. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Is it for sure though?

I should have given a little more background, because I think it COULD be physical.

It is a Radeon 9200SE. I never gave me many problems EXCEPT for this: If I leave the computer of for long periods of time, the graphics card just won't be recognized. I'll have to convert back to the old on-board card (by switching over the monitor connection) to get the computer 'warmed up'. Then, it usually works. But sometimes, I have to opent he computer up and giggle the card. I never really worried about it, as it always seem to go back to normal. But maybe it is another clue.

That said, I'd like to pursue the DirectX thing first.

13. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

14. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. Went through every thing he said. Same problem.

Edit: Just wanted to add. I pulled my graphics card out and blew on it, and plugged it back in. Now, the Direct3D 9 test finished, but it flickers with flashing pixels. Now, this improvement made me think it was the card (as in pulling it our and plugging it back in fixed it a little), BUT why would Direct3D 7 and 8 work perfectly fine?

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Per chance, is the card under any warranty?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice