1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Catastrophic SOUND Meltdown!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cagedheat3, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cagedheat3

cagedheat3 Thread Starter

Hey...I recently lost all sound on my PC for no apparent reason. There is no sound anywhere. I am using a HP 2.60GhZ 512MB 120GB practically brand new computer running Windows XP. My sound card is a Realtek AC97. Or is it a sound card? I know very little about PC hardware. All I know is that everything was working fine and now I have no sound. The speakers are plugged in correctly, they have power...they have that "working sound" but no actual sound..if that makes sense. Things appear to be playing, but no sound. I have run a virus-scan program and it is clean, and Ad-aware which is clean too. I downloaded and updated the drivers for the sound. No changes...it is a complete mystery. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cagedheat3

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    :rolleyes: Here is a couple things to check. First off actually look at the back of your computer and make sure your speaker plug didnt get disconnect from yout computer. It should be plugged into the green connector. Actually unplug it and plug it back in. If htat does not help open Control panel set it to classic view is the easiest. then open Sounds and Audio devices. make sure the the box marked Mute on the volume tabe is not checked. If it is uncheck it by clicking on it with your mouse. Apply changes and exit. See if that gives you back your sounds. You may need to restart your comuter after this if a change is made. I hope this helped you! ;)

3. cagedheat3

cagedheat3 Thread Starter

I have already done all of those things...all the basics have been covered...Thank you though :) any other suggestions??
    Cagedheat3

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice