1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Catch 22 and a half with the log in and workgroup.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rett Mikhal, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rett Mikhal

Rett Mikhal Thread Starter

In trying to use internet sharing with my Uncle's DSL, we had to change the workgroup on both computers. The workgroup and network options on my laptop were extremely limited, borderline invisible. Eventually we found it and changed from domaign to workgroup, using the same name. Restarted.

Now my log in doesn't work because the domaign is wrong. And I can't change the domaign because my log in doesn't work. Admin also does not work, and I can't change domaign or workgroup on the log in screen.

I'm running windows XP pro on an IBM thinkpad.

2. steven1350

steven1350

boot into safe mode, and change the domain back

3. Rett Mikhal

I tried already, but my laptop requires logging in even in safe mode. The passwords, even for the admin, don't work in safemode as well.

4. steven1350

steven1350

did u try logging in as "administrator"

5. Rett Mikhal

Yes, as stated in the original post. I suspect even if the password is correct with the administrator it won't let me on because the domaign is wrong. I don't know why my school locked out the ability to change domaigns at the log in screen but it is a VERY bad idea to do so.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

There is still the local administrator account. That has nothing to do with the Domain.

7. Rett Mikhal

Both my account and the admin reject the passwords I put in.

8. steven1350

steven1350

try this account

username= "administrator"
    password="" <-- the password is blank (this is set by default, unless you changed it)

9. Rett Mikhal

Yes, I tried all combinations of admin and administrator. I don't think they work for the same reason MY password doesn't work in that I'm off the domaign and the log in doesn't recognize me. But without the box that's NORMALLY there to change back, I can't do anything until I log in, and I can't log in until I do something.

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The local administrator account has nothing to do with domain login. You cannot login to your domain account because you are not attached to the domain. You cannot login to the local administrator account because you don't know the passsword. Your only option now is to reset the Administrator password with a bootdisk.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice