1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Catch 22 ? XP and profiles

Discussion in 'Networking' started by paul selhi, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul selhi

paul selhi Thread Starter

A friend of mine is having problems getting users to logon on to a xp box which is wkgrouped with another box. he has set the profiles up on box A and can't login from box B as a user but can as admin

i have suggested that this is because as a workgroup the user needs to recoonect the network links to get the profile but can't connect the lionks till they logon and can't logon till they get a profile. Am i right ?

Here is his scenario - quoted :

Right now, the XP box is networked to one other computer. Until I get more machines, or whatever route I decide to do. It is XP Pro. I am also hosting a local network site until I get up & running & then in the future I will utilize the DNS hosting it can do. Of which XP Pro can host one website. Both systems use XP Pro, so there shouldn't be a OS compatiblity problem there. It has IIS installed on the main system. Simple workgroup is what it is, nothing profound. The network was working quite well here recently.

I beleive the problem orginated when I create a user & wanted to change where it's home directory was located. I beleive you would go to the computer management area, select the user & choose advanced. Generally, it doesn't have where the home directory for that particular user is located. But it does give the option to change where it is. I chose to locate that users home directory on a seperate hard on the machine. (Same machine) I was going to make, (if it worked) more users have their home directory be there. The idea was kinda like a roaming profile to a certain extent. I know that XP doesn't do the domain roaming profile, you need a server OS.
    Now, I don't know if the problem resides there, began there, or whatever, but I beleive it occurred soon after that change.
    Now, since then I have deleted that particular account & have created subsequent new ones. Now, let's note that I only edited one users home directory. I have gone in to that area again & again making sure that it doesn't have the home directory changed on them as well.
    The admin can log on to the main machine locally & as well can make changes on this machine from the other one also. It of course would require user/pass to be entered. A user on the second machine can go into the main machine & open/run/etc files from the second machine. (via the network)

The ones who can't log on are users on the local machine that I created them on. If I look at the logon area, it will show their name & icon, I will select it & in a few short seconds it tells me that it can't find the profile so even a desktop never opens up. But an admin account will log right on. This happens whether it's plugged into a network on not.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are these all XP boxes? Even if they are their profiles will not download to the each individual WS unless you have a server. They each have to have profiles set up locally in a workgroup type of setting. Check into Active Directory and user permission in the help section, it might shed some light on the situation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice