1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Caught in a boot-loop, hard disk spins down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Machine is caught in a boot-loop. It boots goes to Windows 2000 splash screen, then runs CHKDSK, then the hard disk spins down (I can hear that.) and then restarts and repeats.

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G board, Pentium 4 2.8-GHz processor, 512 RAM.
    All other IDE (PATA) devices have been disconnected. No SATA present. Power supply monitor shows no drop in voltage.

In the past, it would be running fine then I would occasionally hear the hard disk spin down and the machine would then freeze up. I would then reboot the computer and it would run fine for several days or just a day or two when it would happen again. I thought it was the hard disk failing so I replaced it. No change. Now, it's in a continuous loop.

I've checked the BIOS and I don't see anything apparent in there.

Any suggestions?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Did you check the mobo caps?

3. Alex Ethridge

As many times as I have run into that very problem, I forgot to check them; but, on close inspection they all appear to be in perfect condition.

4. Alex Ethridge

I restored from a drive image made at a time when this boot-loop problem didn't exist and it didn't help. But, I remembered the occasional spin down has been a problem for a very long time and I could not be sure that it didn't start at some point many months ago before the image was made.

So, I reinstalled everything from scratch, Windows 98, then 2000, all updates and basic configurations and then did an image I could fall back on. I then installed the board and peripheral drivers. So far, I haven't heard a spin-down.

I can only guess that there was a problem with a corrupt file or a bad driver. Only time will tell if the problem is still lurking in there somewhere..

5. spiker_22

spiker_22

Have you checked with the drives vendor to see if there is a recall or something?

6. Alex Ethridge

Update:

For the last three days, I have off and on been swapping parts out of this machine. I swapped everything, even the main board and power supply. The only common factor that remains (that I can think of) is that the video cards, although swapped, were all nVidia cards. I've been running nVidia cards in all three systems that use this identical board for over a year without a problem. All the AGP spares I have here that I can test with are nVidia and I got no change in result so I dug out an old S3 Virge PCI video card and all seems to work fine (at least for the moment).

I am so fatigued over this machine, I am hesitant to say 'it is fixed'.

I am beginning to think there might be some compatibility issue between this board's chipset and nVidia cards.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice