1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

caught-up between two browsers....

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by webzter, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

New pc originally had w98 w/5.0 ie explorer- wasnt particularly compatable with too many things so i was going to upgrade to ie 6.0.

went to do down load and 90% thru the unpaking a virus (swem worm) stopped the process.

since then ive corrected the virus but either some of the 6.0 browser thats been opened or some of the 5.0 that's been removed seems to have left a bit of each browser with neither one doing 100 of the job, and at times, stopping the other- how do i clear one of thw out- the help above toolbar indicates that 5.0 ie explorer is still installed but i can also see some of the 6.0 components, too- (ie Activex isnt loading properly and ms updates wont complete due to "brower problems"

question is, how do i get rid of one of the two browsers? im affraid at this point removing either may throw me back to a disfunctional pc where nothing works!

many thanks in advance for your interest and help!

2. RSM123

RSM123

You might try these two things :

From Control Panel select Add/Remove Programs > Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and highlight it > Click on the Add/Remove button > Select Repair > Click OK.

At the top of your IE window click >Tools >Internet options > Advanced - you will find a button 'restore defaults'.

In the event this does not correct your problem then of course please post back as it may be necessary to modify something in the Registry and as I have never needed to do that for any IE problem, someone else would need to advise you on what other course of action to take.

3. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hello;

no browser was listed in ad/remove so i was unable to do anything there

reset to "browser defaults" and dropdown indicated "successful,-

regretably though nothing has changed- no activeX, inability to perfotm ms updates, etc indicating according to error message that a browser upgrade was either corrupt or incomplete-

sorry i couldnt get it to go- any other suggestions?
    thanks
    webz

4. spruce

spruce

Go to start system tools,system information then cl. on tools them click on internet explorer repair. See if that may help

5. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestion- i went to the location and got everything answered- is this an immediate respone report or are there delays? seems like there's process here that goes to some place and is returned after a while? perhaps i did something incorrectly?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!