1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cautiously erasing hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techorejecto, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techorejecto

techorejecto Thread Starter

Im planning on erasing the hard drive on my computer to start from square one again. I dont know about bootable disks and assume I dont know much else either.My system is a sony vaio pentium 4, 2.40 GHZ maxtor 80 GB hard drive.I have system and application recovery disks and plan on erasing with eraser 56 which has been downloaded to cd-rom.besides not doing it what is the safest way to do this?

2. JoyousMonkey

JoyousMonkey

Hi, techorejecto.

By using the recovery disks that came with your computer you should be able to wipe everything off the HDD and effectively return things to the original factory settings. This may be the safer option, as some product recoveries make use of hidden partitions on the HDD. IF your computer falls into this category, wiping the HDD may render it unrecoverable.

Obviously, if you decide to wipe the slate clean, you'll need to backup any essential files first.:D

Regards,
    Joyous Monkey

3. Rockn

Rockn

There is no "cautious" way to erase or format a hard drive, it's an all or nothing proposition.

4. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi techorejecto, Welcome to TSG.

Absolutley follow the directions and use the restore discs given for your PC as noted above. The whole restore process with recovery discs is a controlled process that reformats your HD and installs everything on your system as it was when you bought it.

Since you don't have separate discs for your OS and all device drivers, you're stuck with having to use the restore discs anytime you'll want to reformat and re-install your system software. You can find yourself in deep do-do if you don't know what you're doing.

:cool:

5. techorejecto

techorejecto Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Im taking the advised route and using the system recovery disk.;)

6. buckaroo

buckaroo

No problem! :)

7. scott9263

scott9263

Have erased Harddrive on an older HP Kayak and almost all technology to restore except can not partiton hard so as to reinstall windows. have run fdisk, nothing works... Help i'm an idiot for trying this without a net.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice