1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cay

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Cay, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cay

Cay Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario PC; Windows Vista 32 bit and my computer will not startup without clicking Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up my Windows Task Master. My desktop icons will not come up either. Please Help me with the simplest way I can get my PC back to working correctly because all my important stuff is on my desktop.

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

When you say startup, are you talking from a cold boot (when your machine is turned off) or are you talking about when you bring your computer from Sleep or Hibernation mode?

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Use your Vista DVD to go to StartUp Repair. If you didn't get a DVD when you bnought the computer, hopefully, you made the recovery set of DVDs when prompted and that should help you.

4. Cay

Cay Thread Starter

Sorry, No I didn't get a Vista DVD. I must revise my request. My computer will startup and let me logon, then after I logon it goes to a black screen with a cursor only and then I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get on Task Master to get on internet on email. This started right after my Mcafee security ran out and popups started then in a few days, I bought another one and installed it. But, my desktop never did return and I have done everything I know. Please help!

5. Megabite

Megabite

What happens if you try tapping F8 on startup ....and choose SafeMode

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

This is a coincidence because I've just been called out to one doing exactly the same. I go in by the same method and starting Explorer whereupon Microsoft Malware said it found something then MSE said the same but with different threats. I ran MBAM in Normal and binned five threats it found but the system still only fires up without starting Explorer so I've brought it back to work on here.

I suggest Cay goes into Safe Mode and runs MBAM then posts the log back here and asks a Mod to move him to the Security Boards.

7. Cay

Cay Thread Starter

From a cold boot, I get windows login, I login and then up comes the black screen with cursor. Its seems that I have lost my startup screen and desktop. I have tried safe mode and still nothing comes up but black screen with safe mode on it. I have also tried going back and restore but it only takes me back 5 days and I need to go back at least 50 days to when I had my startup page with desktop so I can get to my important documents. My husband is a Pastor of 2 churches and I had all my documents on my desktop so I could pull them up quickly and print. Thank you for all of your opinions and help!

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

At the black screen, did you use Windows key +R to see the Run box from where you can Browse? At that point, you need to have MalwareBytes on a flash drive already plugged in so you can navigate to it.

If you need to find next Sunday's sermons to put those on a flash drive, you'll have to expand the browsing from just Programmes to All Files.

9. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Cay,
    You mentioned "This started right after my Mcafee security ran out and popups started then in a few days, I bought another one and installed it." You say you bought another one, another Mcafee, or another Virus program? If you bought another program, did you uninstall Mcafee first? This could be the problem as two different Anti Virus programs can really mess with a system. You should always uninstall first before adding another.
    Hope someone can help you get your computer running smoothly again:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice