1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CCleaner’s Sketchy Data Collection Feature...

Discussion in 'General Security' started by lochlomonder, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lochlomonder

lochlomonder Thread Starter

I've been a fan of CCleaner for several years, since I've always found it good for cleaning up extraneous files. However, this article now gives me pause for thought as to whether or not I want to continue using this product.

To be sure, the information may be anonymised but I do like the choice of whether to accept this, or not.

SamConor likes this.
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You may or may not be aware that since July 2017 Piriform is owned by AVAST
    And as I have said for many years now
    Not a utility to be run on default settings
    AND IMHO completely unnecessary and indeed inadvisable on 10

lochlomonder likes this.
  3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Thanks for the link.

Like the old saying, nothing good lasts forever

lochlomonder likes this.
  4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The recent changes to Piriform CCleaner (which I regularly use) have also concerned me, so I uninstalled it and then switched to the portable version. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

lochlomonder likes this.
  5. 2twenty2

2twenty2

CCleaner portable version here too.

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder Thread Starter

Yes, I saw Avast had taken them over and I was biding my time to see how it panned out. So far, not-so good. I use it for cleaning up Win 7 machines and previous Windows-based OS's, and I agree with you: Win 10 is a lot better at taking care of things with the built-in apps.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    From another site about the portable version
    upload_2018-8-4_9-3-37.png

8. TOGG

TOGG

I'm using Win 7 and I haven't updated CCleaner for some time now because Eset Internet Security prevents the download of the newer version as 'a potentially unsafe application'. Eset classifies it as 'Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D' but other AV's might use a different description.

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    dckeks,
    Does system-ninja have an option not to do any "Registry" clean up?

11. 2twenty2

2twenty2

12. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I just ran System Ninja, junk file cleaning, on my Win 7 Home computer
    It's a standalone system and not on the Internet for about 2 years.
    I've been using both the default Windows file cleaner and a version of CC I installed about a year ago.
    I only searched my C partition, not my database partition

I ran Win file cleaner and then CC before System Ninja.

System Ninja found an additional 375 files, but only amounting to 3.96 mb.
    It was very quick.
    But since I'm not familiar with the rep of System Ninja and the files found are insignificant in size, I declined to dispose of them at this time.

EDIT:
    I decided to test SN against my data base.
    Very aggressive so I followed the path of the first 'junk file' and it led to a data base file of a Firefox profile I saved.

IMO, not safe.

I've even reconsidered using CC.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  13. Macboatmaster

I agree and having had a look at the software and what it deletes - why anyone would consider using it on 8.1 or 10 is totally beyond me.
    That said I cannot see the benefits in such programs be they CCleaner, Avast Cleanup or Singular Labs when viewed as a system maintenance tool
    When considered as a troubleshooting utility perhaps the situation changes.

IMHO the utility is risky in the extreme, to the user who does not pay proper attention to what is being cleaned
    Perhaps even more so than CCleaner ever was

For instance
    From Singular Labs site
    Run that on 10 and I forecast possible serious problems in some circumstances.
    Here is the correct way to deal with temp files
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/70830-delete-temporary-files-windows-10-a.html

14. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    No registry cleaner option which is why I like it. Have used it for years without any issues as well as many others. Like any program you should understand how to use it properly.

15. Macboatmaster

I still maintain that the utility is risky for the average user.
    It is a cold hard fact that many people do not READ fully the use guidelines before running the program
    It may not have an included registry cleaner option at its initial download but it most certainly includes a number of add-ons ONE of which is a registry cleaner

More to the point the site warns in the following regarding these add-ons

System Ninja has a small number of plugins available that extend its functionality. Microsoft .NET developers can create custom utilities for System Ninja, allowing them to leverage the power of the System Ninja API
    Registry Cleaner
    A lightweight tool that can detect and remove unnecessary registry keys.

What I cannot find despite an extensive search is any guidelines - readily available on how to use the software OR indeed any advice on - establishing a means of returning to as was, if something goes wrong after running Ninja.

AND as far as I can see - if a problem does arise support is offered only in the forum of Singular Labs. (Gowland Media)

I most certainly would NOT recommend to anyone on this site the use of software provided by any company that includes in its software the provided plugins - for which they accept no responsibility and do not even produce them.

That said I have not tried the program and have no intention of doing so, but I would urge caution against its use - most especially on 10.
    If anyone reading the topic decides to give Ninja a try, then like any other cleaning utility you would be well advised to establish a restore point before running Ninja.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Johnny b likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice