1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CCleaner: "TEMP files" vs. "Temporary Internet" files

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by marie500, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I'd like to use CCleaner to delete the contents of my TEMP folder. Not Temporary INTERNET files folder; I mean the TEMP folder in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\TEMP . I think it's holding leftovers from application installs, etc. Is there one in the Windows folder too? (what's the difference?)
    CC has a a box to check that deletes what CC calls simply "Temporary Files" but it only deletes the temporary internet files and my TEMP files are still there even thoug I've rebooted, etc. "Temporary files" doesn;t mean the TEMP filder to CC.

Also, would it be fine for me to delete contents of TEMP simply by doing select>delete? For some reason I didn't think it should be done that way though.

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Take a look at the free registry cleaner "Easy Cleaner" under the "Unnecessary" cleaning function. There are a number of options available.

By the way "EC" is regularly recommended here at TSG. However, DO NOT utilize the "Duplicates" cleaner, since some duplicate files are required for the computer to function properly.

Go here for info and a download of "EC":
    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

{redoak}

3. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Off to get Easy Cleaner, then!
    Appreciate knowing where to look for the TEMP deletion control.

..oh, on rereading..you say there are "many options available" - do oyu mena it has a good chance of being there but might not be/ I'll go have a look,,thanks

PS - Is it in fact okay to delete TEMP files by straightforwardly deleting them?

4. stantley

stantley

Another thing you could do is add a custom folder in CCleaner. You go into Options > Custom Folder and add your temp folder.

Then on the main screen in CCleaner have Custom Folders under Advanced checked.

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi..temp files are temporary..they can all be deleted....

6. golferbob

golferbob

if you download and use easycleaner ,please don't use duplicates.

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Yes, as long as you are not currently installing something (ie there may be files yet to be installed), from the TEMP folder, select ALL, delete.

8. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Easy Cleaner did scan for TEMP files. The results also list files from other folders as well though, such as backup Word docs and all kinds of others. I need to spend time (at least this first time) sorting through to make sure I dont need any. It won't empty just the TEMP folder, it hunts for all temporary files.

9. shawnstrauss

shawnstrauss

Does Start, Run, type "%temp%" (without the quotes) accomplish the same thing?

10. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Yes, there may be some that will not delete. They should have today's date. These are currently being used by Windows.

11. Red Boy

Red Boy

For what it is worth: I have made a shortcut to my desktop of my Temp folder. Every evening I open it and delete its contents. You can do the same thing with your Temp Int folder and Cookie folder.

Red Boy.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/387877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice