1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Ccleaner Update

Discussion in 'General Security' started by smeegle, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

I'm sure that someone has answered this already but I can't find it on the search feature. Is it safe to return to C Cleaner? I started using Glary when I first heard about c cleaner being affected by malware but if it is safe now I would like to return.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Yes, it's safe to return.

3. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

Thanks for that information, Lochlomonder.

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome (y)

Avast, the company who owns Piriform - the authors of CCleaner - were on the ball with this situation and had the situation sorted quickly. I was happy about that, since CCleaner is definitely an invaluable part of my toolkit.

5. TOGG

TOGG

Eset Internet Security has been flagging downloads of CCleaner from Piriform and File Hippo as PUA's for some time now and still does. Eset detects the files as containing 'Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D a potentially unsafe application'.

Should I assume that this is a false positive or just an over sensitive heuristic type of detection by Eset? I'm only curious as I'm happily using an older version and, as a W7 user, don't actually need any modifications designed for W10.

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

TOGG,

I think they're false positives. CCleaner does offer to install Chrome on systems which don't have it installed already, so perhaps it's being spooked by that. I run Webroot at home and work, and have never had an issue with CCleaner other than the malware which snuck on there last year (which Webroot caught).

7. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot Temporarily Banned

8. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

Thanks to all who responded. I'm marking as solved.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    5.41.6446 is the most current version.

The FileHippo.com and MajorGeeks.com sites are where I usually get it when a new version is released.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice