Solved Ccleaner Update

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

smeegle

I'm sure that someone has answered this already but I can't find it on the search feature. Is it safe to return to C Cleaner? I started using Glary when I first heard about c cleaner being affected by malware but if it is safe now I would like to return.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You're welcome (y)

Avast, the company who owns Piriform - the authors of CCleaner - were on the ball with this situation and had the situation sorted quickly. I was happy about that, since CCleaner is definitely an invaluable part of my toolkit.

Eset Internet Security has been flagging downloads of CCleaner from Piriform and File Hippo as PUA's for some time now and still does. Eset detects the files as containing 'Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D a potentially unsafe application'.

Should I assume that this is a false positive or just an over sensitive heuristic type of detection by Eset? I'm only curious as I'm happily using an older version and, as a W7 user, don't actually need any modifications designed for W10.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
TOGG,

I think they're false positives. CCleaner does offer to install Chrome on systems which don't have it installed already, so perhaps it's being spooked by that. I run Webroot at home and work, and have never had an issue with CCleaner other than the malware which snuck on there last year (which Webroot caught).

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
5.41.6446 is the most current version.

The FileHippo.com and MajorGeeks.com sites are where I usually get it when a new version is released.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!