1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CCleaner

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Beatsme, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beatsme

Beatsme Thread Starter

I've been using this program for some time now, and it has a feature which you can use to scan your registry for issues, and then fix them.

It also allows you to create a backup before going through with the changes. I haven't used this in some time, and that's what I'm getting at. I've been using this feature pretty haphazardly without creating a backup beforehand, and I was wondering how safe this is.

I know messing around with your registry can cause a lot damage, but I was under the impression that with Crap Cleaner, it was relatively safe.

Anyway, I've not encountered any problems as of yet, but nonetheless, I figured it'd be good to at least have some idea of the implications of what I'm doing before I just up and do it without thinking.

So should I be using the backup option more often? Or can I pretty much just delete most of this stuff and not have anything to worry about?

2. Augie65

Augie65

Just my personal opinion, but I would never change anything in the registry without a backup. You never know for sure what might accidently happen.

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi.When using any Registry cleaner..you should always back up what you delete..
    It will ask .. do you want to back up..always say yes..
    In Ccleaner [issues section] I always check what it is Im allowing to be deleted..if unsure I will leave it there and do some research..
    Once deleted..gone for good..

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I agree, you need to have a good idea of just what you are deleting as you cannot assume CCleaner will know about every permutation of everything.

I know people who make a good living fixing the mess left by overzealous use of Registry cleaners by those who do not understand or scrutinise every entry!

5. hammer1

hammer1

Right now there are no ISSUES to view in CCleaner and everything is working exceptionally.At the end of the night I use CCleaner and any Issues present are wipped off.
    My logic is that if they weren't there in the morning, and I made no changes during the day, then what right to they have to be there at night.:) :) :)

6. sekirt

sekirt

While your logic makes some sense, I would go along with making a backup.

Registry backups will be among the smallest on your hard drive. They hardly take any room and can be deleted any time you want. Why risk it?

sekirt

7. Beatsme

Beatsme Thread Starter

So is there anything I should do? ( aside from being a little more cautious ) Because I've been doing this for some time now. I haven't encountered any problems that I can think of, though.

Is there anyway I can find out if everything's all right?

8. blues_harp28

Hi..After cleaning the Registry..you may not know what has been effected until you use a program or application..
    It may be months before you find that a program no longer works..
    Or worse still..your system no longer starts..
    It's happened to me..and no doubt to many on this forum..
    Only safeguard..Back up..what you delete..;)

9. Beatsme

Beatsme Thread Starter

But for now, since I've encountered no problems, I can assume there's been no serious harm done, no?

Anyway, isn't there some program I could use for scanning my registry so that I'll know if I've done any serious damage?

10. Beatsme

Beatsme Thread Starter

11. sekirt

sekirt

No.
    If you did major damage, you couldn't run any programs, including Windows.

Can you still get into your computer, assuming you trash your registry...yes, most likely. But an ounce of prevention...is worth a pound of cure. Just do the backups. If you don't want to, then don't.

sekirt

12. cromaczs07

cromaczs07

i used Ccleaner haphazardly... but i made sure that i have my backup safe...

i run ccleaner with my removeable disk (usb mass storage), i'm not sure if ccleaner made it loose all the files on it... it cant open any of my files anymore... is there a way i can still save my files?

is there an "undo" with ccleaner?

13. blues_harp28

Hi Ccleaner's back ups are stored in My Documents..or should be..
    Click on entry and you are asked "do you want to merge these entries to the registry"

14. cromaczs07

cromaczs07

oh, thanks, maybe i just mishandled my usb...

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!