1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD and DVD drives running slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrDr, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrDr

DrDr Thread Starter

I am not sure if this lives in hardware or software, but the symptoms are definitely related to the hardware.

I installed SP2 then rolled it back as it caused problems on my system (accessing My Computer caused the whole system to freeze - clock and all -and generate Dr Watson messages, Nero burning about 50 Mb then crashing when I tried to back up photos in case of a need to reinstall, NAV not running properly - although I could access the Internet and run apps from the desktop and see drives through the apps).

Since rolling back to pre-install neither of my multimedia drives have been running properly (I have generic CD RW and DVD drives running off standard XP drivers) although everything else has pretty much reverted to where it was.

Key symptoms are CD and DVD audio running at about 90% of playback speed (we can see the time running slow on WMP or Real vs the system clock as well as it sounding awful), and on DVDs the audio is jerky and distorted. We have tried both commercial DVDs and CDs and authored/home made ones (friends wedding DVDs etc) System sound (WAV) is erratic when checking Control Panel too. MP3s and WMAs played back through RealPlayer or WMP are fine (although Real is a bit temperamental - but then it always was). Video (apart from the sound) and image apps are fine. PowerDVD is quite unstable, too. We removed WinDVD and WinCinema, although we have the sw for it (but we have a zillion disks for PowerDVD)

I have reinstalled the supplied sw drivers for the soundcard (Terratec DMX 6Wave 2496), Power DVD, WMP9, checked all the standard trouble shooters plus a few extra ones for WMP9. I cannot detect any resource or system conflicts through any resources I check.

We also removed a lot of software that was no longer used and was just generally cluttering the system up.

I am running an 18 month old dealer assembled 1GB plus Athlon based PC built round an ASRock motherboard, 1 Gb of RAM, with Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 2400 video card, plus a DVD and CD-RW drive. As I still have some quaint old 95 (and earlier) software with various music apps it also has a rarely used floppy drive. Previously the only problem I had with this was a failed power supply which was replaced by my dealer (OK call me a wimp...!)

My suspicion is that SP2 did not cleanly roll back. It appeared to crash on restart after roll back, telling me it was trying to repair MS Messenger 6.2 - and both apps locked. A suspicious looking folder called "Software Distribution" is in Windows which appears to still contain a lot of SP2 components which dates from the time I installed SP2.

I have subsequently checked that Zone Alarm is upto date (it is) and installed NAV 2005 as I was not convinced NAV 2004 was running cleanly and attempts to reschedule told me that I did not have Admin rights (another reason for suspecting SP2 elements are lurking).

Any ideas??? I cannot find ANY advice on drives playing back slow or this type of problem (and we have tried A LOT of different searches). Also WMP will not let me reset the speed of my playback although the option is presented (no slider is visible)

Thanks for any help or suggestions - my son and I spent a lot of last weekend trying to fix this, and all we managed to do was switch Autoplay back on from the Registry.... we stopped short of physically reinstalling the drives, or starting with XP from fresh. The PC is working for most stuff - but we do use audio a lot, and it is very frustrating.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice