1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd and dvd not being recognized by windows xp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by backdr10, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backdr10

backdr10 Thread Starter

Please help. I soent 7 hours on the phone today with microsoft and dell with no fix for probelm. windows auto updated to service pack 3 and i lost access to my cd and dvd-rw drives. I already tried the microsftfix #314060 with the tech over the phone. This did not work nor did updating drivers or uninstalling/reinstalling affected drives. Bios for my dell 8400 desktop seems to not show drives and all of sudden my computer is staring up funny showing the an "a" drive floppy which i do not have installed. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem. I would appreciate any and all advice?

2. ryanclemson

ryanclemson

hmm - i would concentrate on getting the drives to show up properly in BIOS. write down your current bios settings if messing with bios settings scares you. windows will not recognize the drives until bios does. try manually setting the drives to the proper settings first. if that doesn't work, i would try resetting the bios to factory defaults. is this a laptop? if so, remove the drive and see if bios works correctly, if so, boot to windows. if that works and you reinsert the drive and you still have issues, i would be skeptical of the drive. maybe not the best advice, but hopefully it helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice