1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD auto run problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RickyCobra, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RickyCobra

RickyCobra Thread Starter

Now I just got done rebuilding this system so heres everything before I get to the problem. Windows 98SE, New SOYO SY-6VCA slot one motherboard. Pentium 3 700 Mgz, New Western digital 40 gig, Savage 3000 64 MB video card. Now I have everything going so far except I keep having problems with my CD-RW and DVD player. My DVD had to be changed to the master and the CD-RW to a slave that was the only way to get the system to boot up with both of them hooked up. I got the DVD going and it's working fine and I just burned a CD on the CD-RW so that part is working fine. I for some reason can't install a lot of my sons games. I had to load the drivers for the motherboard off the net because the SOYO CD would freeze when I tried to open it. I put some games in either of the players and it says to insert the CD but it's already in there, seems like no autorun. I Installed Simcopter but when my son tries to play it freezes upon opening and I have to shut the system down to free it. Any suggestions?

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Check if Autorun is enabled by going to Start>Settings>Control Panel>System and on the Device Manager tab, expand the entry for CD drive by clicking on the +. Select a device, and Properties. Make sure Auto Insert Notification is checked to make Autorun work. While on that page, look at the check box for DMA. If it is checked or unchecked, try the oposite to see if it helps with the cd reading problem.

3. RickyCobra

The auto insert notification is checked on both. The DVD requested that the DMA be turned on and the CD-RW didn't change anything, still won't autorun or open certain games. Thanks for trying.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

For the autorun have a look in the registry.
    Go to start>run and type regedit. Press enter. Navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Look in the right pane for this entry:
    NoDriveTypeAutoRun

Double click and change to 95,00,00,00
    If it isn't already.

Are you sure you have the correct Busmaster Drivers?

5. RickyCobra

I'm pretty sure I have the right drivers loaded. I changed the NoDriveTypeAuto to 95 00 00 00 and now when I put a CD in it automatically comes up to put a CD in...........now thats weird it reads it then says to put a CD in. My hard disk controllers are as follows.

Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo)
    Seconday IDE Controller (dual fifo)
    Via Bus Master PCI IDE Contoller

I have VIA cip set.

Thank you for trying.

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Go to VIA and load the latest 4 in1 drivers for Win98 SE and your chipset.

7. RickyCobra

I have them, I downloaded them earlier. Do I have to delete the current driver from my device manager aand then reload?

8. RickyCobra

Should this one have all zero's? CDRAutoRun 00 00 00 00

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Installation Directions.

I downloaded, unzipped, double clicked on setup.exe

I just got back and saw your registry question. The answer is yes, that entry is correct.

10. RickyCobra

:confused: That didn't work. I appreciate all your help in this matter I know you put a lot into this.

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

What would you say to moving the CDRW to Secondary Master and the DVDROM to Primary Slave. See if they work that way. Don't forget to change the jumpers. (sorry, people forget sometimes)

12. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

What burning software are you using?

13. RickyCobra

I don't quite understand what secondary master is and primary slave:confused: :confused: :confused: Could you explain how to do that? As far as the burner software it's Roxio easy cd creator platinum. Thank you for sticking with this.

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

When you open the Computer you see ribbon cables connecting the Drives to the Motherboard. Each Cable usually will have one or two Devices attached.

There are Two IDE Channels>>>>Primary and Secondary
    You can have Four devices. Two on each Channel. The ribbon cables connect to the MOBO> Look for Primary and Secondary on one end and to the devices on the other. Three connectors. Two for devices and one for the MOBO.

On the Individual Channels, you can have two devices. However, when you do this one must be set up as Master and the other as Slave.

Setting up a Device as a Master or Slave is accomplished by setting the jumpers. Look for these on your Drive. You Attach a Little plastic piece on a Set of "pins" to complete the circuit for either master or slave. These must be done correctly. If you have moved the drives around on the Ide Channels, you need to reset the master and slave jumpers. Look in the manual to find the correct settings or at the drive itself.

Also, be sure you have the Cable Facing the correct direction. There is a Red Stripe along one side of it. That strip needs to align with Pin 1 at the connection point.
    When you connect to the Mobo, and to the Drive itself. Look for pin1.

that's the Hardware.
    Be sure your jumpers are set.

Try another Software for your burner. Completely remove the Roxio and reboot. Install something else and see if that helps.

15. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

On most systems, the hard drive is connected on the ribbon cable to the motherboard as Primary Master. If another device is connected on the same cable it is set to Primary Slave by aranging jumpers(small plastic caps with metal inside) on the back of the drive, both hard drive and new drive. The other ribbon cable is called Secondary and it too has Master and Slave and they are set the same way. The hard drive must be Primary Master and some devices prefer Master over Slave positions on the Secondary cable.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice