1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Burn Problems

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bestshotdude, Dec 28, 2001.

?

Soundblater Live! Value

Poll closed Jan 2, 2002.
  1. Is it a limitation of this board?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Do I need new drivers that I cannot find?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bestshotdude

bestshotdude Thread Starter

I have a 700mhz duron system with 512mb of ram and a 20gb Western Digital 7200rpm HD that I am attempting to make "greatest Hits" cd's from. I have a Lite On 24102b burner and am using a Soundblaster Live! Value audio board to work with. The problem I am having is this. I have selected the Soundblaster recorder to do my selective recording and have assinged the recorder folder as my file to hold the recordings. As I get about or through my third recording the entire system freezes and I have to hit reboot and go back and delete the partial file that was recorded. I can then go about three more songs, all in "wav." format as I want to play them on a regular cd player and continue to record and get a system freeze again about 3-4 selections in. I have cut down my system resources, or running programs to the bare minimum but still get this freeze. I am using the Soundblaster player for the selections I want to record and they transfer right over to the record file but I always get this freeze. If I want to do a direct cd-cd record I don't get this problem and all is fine. Should I downgrade my sampling rate as it may be overloading what I have or is there something else going on? I am a part time DJ an when I used an "Audiophile" type recorder I didn't get this problem but I really think there is a work around what is happening now. Put the recordings in a new file? Change the sampling rate? I have tried about everything and it all comes out the same. Oh yeah, I can restart my system and then delete the "bad" recording and continue on to make a great cd but this freeze problem is a true pain in the, well, you know.
    Get as technical as you want but give me a walk through as overall I am very pleased with my stuff it is this 3rd song (too much info?) freeze that has me biting my nails.
    Thanks for any help or suggestions and I will dedicate my first truly problem cd to you at my next dance party.
    Any input would be great.

Tim Cochran

2. slipe

slipe

I don’t quite have a handle on what you are doing. Are you digitizing analog audio through your Sounblaster? Source?

If you have them as separate wave files on your HD, then try Feurio to record them: http://www.feurio.net/English/index.shtml The demo is completely unlimited in function and you can use it as long as you like – sort of like WinZip. You can fade tracks in and out and normalize the volumes either manually or automatically. It is robust and even allows you to work on your next CD while you are recording. If it won’t record your third song then there is something wrong with the file.

3. bestshotdude

Tried that software and it still didn't seem to allow me to select indivdual tracks from different CD's to burn. I am currently using Nero Software for burning and am wondering if there is any way I can make a compilation disc not a direct copy of one entire cd. Is this possible with this software? If so, how without the computer freezing on me?

4. slipe

slipe

I guess you are not about to tell us what you are doing or what role your audio card has in this, so I won’t waste my time with too extensive an explanation.

Nero will compile tracks from various CDs or from your HD. They have a quick start manual on their download page that explains it.

If you happen to be using audio that was originally in a digital form like an audio CD or MP3, then don’t ever convert to wave. Recording software will convert MP3 directly to CDA on the fly and all software will compile a CD from multiple Audio CDs without converting to wave. If you are converting analog to digital through your sound card then you have to convert to wave before you record.

5. bestshotdude

I didn't mean to mislead or intetionally leave out any information about my audio card and am sorry if it ticked you off. I have been using the recorder that comes with my S.B. Live! Value card to record the separate tracks for a compilation. During the use of that recorder it would always freeze up my system in about the third selection during recording, I could restart my system and then delete this incomplete track and then go another 3 songs before another freeze. The only thing I was using on my board was its' recorder and the playback feaure where I could select which track I wanted, hit record on my S.B. recorder and hit play on my S.B. player. I take it that it can be done much simpler from using the Nero software and will experiment with that. The manual is extremely long and exstensive and while scanning it for this particular subject I either missed it or it wasn't explained in a straight forward manner. That is where my problem is coming in. There is obviously a work around from using my S.B audio controls and using the Nero software instead and that was what I was asking about. At no time did I ever not mention what functions I was using on my audio card and what problems I was having. If you feel slighted for some reason then I apologize. I am not a computer guru that can write programs in my head. I'm just a guy that has a little knowledge about a lot of things and just needed to be pointed in the right direction not lectured to about my lack of in depth information that I don't know that much about. That's why you guys are here, right? If we all knew everything we wouldn't be writing to you and sometimes asking what to you may seem to be stupid or misleading questions and statements.
    I will try the Nero software approach and hopefully that will cure my problems. If not, I will just continue on the way I have been as I do not want to get any one having a coniption fit over a rather novice situation. Thanks for the heads up.

6. slipe

slipe

A sound card converts digital to analog or analog to digital. If you want to convert music from an analog source like a tape or LP to digital you do it through the sound card. Its main purpose is to convert digital audio to analog form that your speakers can understand. If you start a poll about whether your sound card is up to a recording task you are attempting it is logical to assume you are using it to convert some sort of analog audio to digital.

It appears that you might be attempting a very simple task like taking some tracks off of various CDs and putting them on a single CD. This really doesn’t make sense though because:
    - That would have nothing to do with your sound card
    - CD writers come with software that can easily do that.
    - There is no reason to rip the CDA tracks on the CDs to WAV and then convert them back to CDA to record them.
    - You are using specialized software rather than basic recording software.
    - You said the Nero manual doesn’t tell you how to do what you want to do. I sent you to a very simplified “Quick Start Manual” Under audio recording in a short “Basic Instructions” chapter there is a section that starts: “If you wish to compile and burn your own audio CD (best-of-CD) from one or several CDs, then please proceed as follows:” with simplified steps listed.

How about just telling us what it is that you are trying to do. What are you doing that requires you to use the Creative software rather than the software that came with the burner? What CD writer? What software did it come with?

-

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice