CD burner and Zip drive not detected together

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tim87529

My system has an ancient motherboard that uses a controller card for the floppy and hard disks. Since it's so old the BIOS won't detect anything but the hard disks. As a result, my Zip drive and CD burner aren't detected. That's not the problem, because they work in Windows. However, there's a catch: Only one will be detected at a time. I have both on a single IDE cable, and no matter how I jumper the devices only one shows up (or none if I set both as master or something), and that's the Zip drive. But upon disconnecting the Zip drive my CD burner shows up and works OK. The same applies to the Zip drive if it's minus the CD burner. So what do I do? How do I get both the CD burner and the Zip drive to both show up? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,

Assuming you have two IDE cables, one used for the hard disk and are using the other for the Zip drive and CDRW and have two separate connectors for these cables on the motherboard / controller card. Then your controller card BIOS ( or possibly motherboard BIOS ) should have the option to set all four of these IDE devices up.

Have you set all four devices in BIOS to auto ot tried them as the specific type of devices they are. CDRW /ZIP etc.

Go into BIOS and ensure all fout IDE channel are set to Auto.

hth

Ceri

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online