1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd burner blues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rumble, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rumble

Rumble Thread Starter

does anyone know the Cd burner that came with the HP pavilion 8603 and where i can get the driver for it?

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Do you want the CD-RW driver so that Windows can recognise it properly or the CD Burner Software?

3. n2gun

n2gun

Can you read disks with it now? What version of windows are you using?

4. Rumble

Rumble Thread Starter

I am using windows 98 se. I can read disks just fine.

The problem I am having is that when I installed Direct CD, it is having trouble detecting the drive. I have been to the HP site, The Roxio site and Device manager says that it is LG CD-RW 8083B. I have looked this up on the LG site as well.

I am not really sure where to look next. The LG site had a firmware upgrade to 1.06 but it says that it cannot upgrade from 1.04. I have looked in the device manager and it says 1.04 I thought I would post a message asking if anyone knew what device it actually was and where I could get the driver from.

I would really appreciate any help you have to offer.

5. slipe

slipe

CD burners don’t have drivers – just firmware. What version of DirectCd and have you updated it? With version 5 DirectCD updates with EZCD. Earlier versions update separately.

Not sure what you are reading from the LG site but you can upgrade from 1.04 to 1.06 according to them: ”This firmware upgrade is for firmware versions 1.04 and 1.05 to go to version 1.06 of LG Branded CD-ROM drives” http://www.lgeservice.com/CED8080BFirm106.htm

6. Rumble

Rumble Thread Starter

the LG site also says that "it is not designed for .......any other oem customers." the cd-rw is from a hp pavillion.

I have version 2.5 of Direct CD and I have attempted to download the upgrades but when I try to install them, It says now direct CD was found.

I know that this all points to a dud copy of Direct cd but the installation seems to go well and I get the Direct Cd Icon in tray, only it has a red line and circle over it. also, I have had no problems with it before. These problems have arisen when i replaced the motherboard with the AOPEN AK73(a) - v and Athlon 1700 chipset. I reloaded windows and was trying to reload direct cd.

7. Rumble

Rumble Thread Starter

At the moment, it is 02:36 in the am here in Australia. Is there anyone I can talk to one on one to try and sort this out?

I'm not sure if it is considered inappropriate or not to personal message someone or not.

I've tried getting into the chat rooms but it keeps giving me some message about cookies. I have dropped the privacy in internet settings to nothing but it just won't behave.

8. n2gun

n2gun

Try Nero. You can download it at the link below. Get Nero 5.5.10 in the column on the right. I would remove the software your using now first though.

http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html#root

9. Rumble

Rumble Thread Starter

should i open the firmware upgrade?

Is nero a free program?

10. n2gun

n2gun

The Nero 5.5 version is a free download. Try it before you do any firmware upgrade. I don't thinbk that is the problem.

11. slipe

slipe

12. simonkeeps

simonkeeps It's My Birthday!

Nero is about 59.00 dollars

Edited! :(

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why spend $59 for Nero when you can buy a CD-RW drive for $40 at MicroCenter with an OEM version of Nero included! :confused:

14. Rumble

Rumble Thread Starter

I still have not reslolved the initial problem with the burner.

Now however, on startup, before windows starts but after the windows banner comes up, i have noticed that it says bad command or file name and "there is an error in config.sys line three" and then " there is an error in config.sys line for.

There are only three things in my config.sys file:

lastdrive=z
    devicehigh=c:\cdrom\gscdrom.sys /d:mscd000 /v
    device=cdpro\vide-cdd.sys/d:mscd001

Can anyone tell me what these lines mean and how I can identify the errors within them and how to go about fixing them. Does anyone know if this will help the problem I have been having with my burner or not?

I am really getting frustrated with this machine!!!:confused: somebody pleeeeease help me!

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you have a program called cdpro? did you delete it?

You can edit that line by putting REM followed by one space in front of it......via start button, run, sysedit and hit ok.....go to that tab.

simon, I edited your post.......we don't promote cracking software here :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice