1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Burner can write, but not read!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DPanMan, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Micro Advantage 52x-42x-52x CD-RW drive. In device manager its name is CDWRITER IDE5224. Its the kind you get at OfficeMax for 10$ after rebate...

Before when I had Windows ME, the drive worked fine. The hard drive failed so I replaced it and installed XP. At first worked fine still, because I had to install a lot of stuff from CD's. I do not remember exactly when, but the drive stopped being able to read CD's

When I put in a CD, the drive spins up, the mouse cursor changes to working in background, and the name of the drive under My Computer changes from "CD-RW Drive" to "CD Drive". However, it does not show the title of the CD, and it shows its used/total size as 0 bytes/0 bytes. If I click on it it says "Please insert CD in to drive D:" I have tried many CD's of different types (the silver original ones, CD-R's, CD-RW's), and its all the same problem

The interesting thing is that I am able to burn CD's with Nero just fine. After the CD is ejected and I put it in again, it still cannot be read.

Device manager says its working properly. I did not update any drivers.

How could this be??

Thanks a lot,
    -Dan

2. mobo

mobo

There are two haeds (read and write). The read may be on its way out or dirty. You can try a laser lens cleaner as an option..

3. n2gun

n2gun

Dan
    Have you checked the disks (on another machine or drive) you are burning to make sure the data is there?

4. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

Yes, I checked it, and the data is there on the burned disk.

BTW how do laser lens cleaners work? Is it like a CD you put in the drive? If so, I thought the CD never touches the head...

5. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

Is there a website for the CDRW? Maybe it's firmware needs updating.

http://161.58.98.186/support/

wow they even have a phone support number

6. mobo

mobo

Yes the lens cleaner is similar o an audio cd Just insert it and let it go. But you may want to first try deleting the cdrw from device manager then reboot and let windows install it..

7. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

Thanks all, the problem was fixed after I deleted the drive from device manager, then let XP reinstall it

8. mobo

mobo

Excellent. now please click the report button and ask the thread to be marked as solved..

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice