1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD burner doesn't work anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdean, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdean

jdean Thread Starter

My laptop computer (Compaq 1710 running Win2000) will no longer burn CDs. Using Roxio Easy CD Creator, when I insert a CD, the program ejects the disk and tells me to insert one that is blank or has space on it. If I try to use the "DirectCD" program (which allows you to treat a CD-RW as a regular disk drive), Roxio tells me that the drive is in use (unknown error 0x8000001a); if I try to write to the drive via the Explorer, I get an error that says the drive is read-only.

I have no problems reading CDs. I have tried several CDs and I always get the same error. I have even tried inserting the CD upside down.

I have reinstalled the CD drivers and reinstalled Roxio and this has no impact on the problem. I was able to burn CDs at one point in time, but I don't have any good way of determining all the software I've installed between then and now (I don't burn CDs very often so I don't know when the problem started, although the computer is only a few months old).

Any suggestions on how to track down this problem?

Jeff

:(

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. jdean

jdean Thread Starter

I am currently using the Basic version of Easy CD Creator, so those patches don't apply. Actually, I did try the Platinum version (with the patches) but that's when I discovered the problem, and so I backed out to the Basic version so that I could make use of Compaq's techical support (they weren't able to help).

I have discovered that I am able to burn CDs with Nero Burning, so the problem would appear to be some sort of software configuration issue with Easy CD Creator. Since I would prefer to use Easy CD Creator, I am still looking for a solution.

4. Dan O

Dan O

How did you uninstall Easy Creator 5?

As it may gave left a newer driver installed.

What is version of Easy Creator are you running and did it come with the PC or a new burner?

5. jdean

jdean Thread Starter

I was using the Basic version that came with the computer, and it seemed to work properly. I didn't use it for about a month, and then I installed the Platinum version. Unfortunately, I didn't run a test before installing the Platinum version, so I don't know if the problem was caused by some other software or if it was caused by the installation of the Platinum version.

I uninstall software by using the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs, and then I run Cleansweep so that I can find any remaining components that might have been left behind. I don't trust Cleansweep completely, especially for programs that use the newer Microsoft installer, but there's only such much that one can do. Also, one thing that Cleansweep can't handle is file replacement (it can remove files and registry entries but it can't revert the system back to an earlier version of a file).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice