CD burner freezing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

violetb

As I begin to copy a CD on my new Gateway, it takes the original CD and copies it but when I insert the blank CD it goes to the ill fated blue screen. I have copied CDs before on this computer. What is the problem? Any help --thanks,

Welcome to TSG, violetb. We might want to move this to the hardware forum, but for now could you copy and post the exact message on the Blue Screen?

Also, if you go to the Device Manager and select Properties > Settings for the CD/RW-drive and Uncheck "autoinsert notification" (if present), does the error still occur?

And tell us what Windows version you have and when you know for sure the problem began. Did you install or uninstall anything recently?

violetb

I tried your suggestion of unchecking--did not work.
Here is what the blue screen reads------

fatal exception OE at 0028:C0006EB2 in VXD (VMM (O1) + 00005EB2

violetb

Forgot --I have Windows 98 and this problem just started --havene't installed anything...

I see Chris has hit it exactly, I recognized it as soon as I saw it. You need to go to the Via site and install the 4in1 motherboard drivers for your system.

Here is another link as well.

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

If you wan't to try a solution before installing the motherboard drivers (which you should install one way or another), click Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

select a started registry from one of the first four you see which predates the problem.

Do not do this after installing the Via 4in1 drivers.

violetb

Help, I did what you said about unchecking auto notification in device manager and now I can't find my CDRom at all in device manager...

Wow unchecking a box and you lose the whole cd rom drive.

Try booting in safe mode press F8 during boot up it will come up with a black screen with four choices. chose start in safe mode. once there go into device manager and see if it shows up now. There may even be more then one listed. Write down what is listed under cdrom drives.

You can delete anything listed for your cdrom drive. Deleting them all will cause Win 98 to redetect the drive when you reboot in normal mode.

violetb

Tried that still doesn't work. I deleted the CD Rom which was a NEC in Safe Mode but still won't give me a D drive in regular mode--does not detect drive.......

Check in Device Manager to see what is listed for Hard disk controller. click the plus sign and see what is listed for secondary HDD controlers.

Also here is a link with Some information.

Also on the top of Device manager click the performance tab and make sure it says it is configured for optimal performance.

violetb

Now when I am in DOS it sees the CD drive but now safe mode or regular mode, I have no D drive. The tech guys came by and looked in case and all is connected. I think they are planning on rebuilding my drive so of course I lose somethings--can't save it all. This has been a fiasco.

Unchecking autoinsert notification should in no way result in the loss of the cd-rom being detected. But it sounds like you have controller problems. If you can still access the internet, go to the Via site, download and run the installation for the 4in1 drivers, one of those is a Bus Master Controller, which could be at the root of both problems.

Rolling Rog:
Also, if you go to the Device Manager and select Properties > Settings for the CD/RW-drive and Uncheck "autoinsert notification" (if present), does the error still occur?
What items should be checked in Settings?

I've had a very frustrating time using my cd-burner. I'll put in a cd to copy and it won't let me copy it. I give the cd to a pal and he can copy it fine. It's beens months since I messed with it, so I don't remember any details.

Well on my Win98 CD-Rom page, I have auto insert notification, DMA and Disconnect checked.

It is common troubleshooting practice to uncheck DMA and Auto insert notification when troubleshooting CD-rom issues. Unchecking DMA often corrects "freezes" when audio files are run for some.

I don't have a cd/rw on my 98, so I can't do a direct comparison, those choices may not be there. Autoplay may be a function of the cd/rw software rather than the Device Manager settings; I didn't know in Violet's case, but she says it was there.

On my XP cd/rw there is only the option to "enable digital cd audio", which is checked, and to adjust playback volume.

You should post the burning problem in "all other software" or "hardware" I guess. I'm relatively new to it so can't really help much. Be sure to describe the problem in detail and any error messages that occur.

violetb

OK , guys. I downloaded the VIA drivers and try to open. It unpacks and then says registry error -Reboot. Now what?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online