1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd Burner Grief

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rumble, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rumble

Rumble Thread Starter

I have an lge cd-rw that adaptec direct cd won't recognise. I have downloaded drivers and different programs but I just can't get the thing to go. The problem occured first when i replaced the motherboard and cpu but kept the old hdd and cd-rw. I have not been able to get it going since. I have a AMD 1700 an LG CD-RW and an AK73(A) motherboard with windows 98 se

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Does the drive work otherwise? Just not with the software?

3. Rumble

Rumble Thread Starter

Yes, it reads cds fine.

I have always used direct cd to burn cds in the past.

I can't recall specifically the wording of the error but it says something like "no duitable drives detected" or "unable to detect drive"

The little cd symbol that appears in tray has a red circle and cross over it which I haven't seen before.

I have also tried to install Nero but that won't install either.

The computer was originally a HP pavillion that died a horrible death. Subsequently, I purchased a new motherboard and cpu (Aopen mb and Athlon 1700 cpu). I however only had the HP recovery disks that no longer work in my machine. The burner is the standard LG CD-RW CED-8083B that comes with the pavillions.

I have been to the HP site to download drivers, I have been to the LG site to download drivers. I have downloaded updates for direct cd...... Which reminds me. Although I have uninstalled and reinstalled Direct CD about 10 times, when I try to install the updates, it says it can't find Direct CD.

Maybe this might have something to do with it.

I would really appreciate any advice or help you might have.

4. ~Candy~

Have you tried completely uninstalling the software? Then a re-install?

5. Rumble

Rumble Thread Starter

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and the drivers many many times.

6. ~Candy~

Ya, duh, missed where you said 10 times. But if the update says it's not there....I'm wondering if you ever get a complete installation then. I believe if you go to Adaptec's website (now Roxio) there should be complete manual uninstallation instructions. Sometimes registry key enties need to be deleted to get a complete uninstall.

7. slipe

slipe

What you most likely need is a firmware update for the burner. Go here: http://www.lgeservice.com/ Click on the CD-RW heading on the left and then on software. Maybe one of these days it will come up. You will have to sort through the various out of production products and determine your model number if you don’t know it.

I take it you have updated EZCD and DirectCD at Roxio and I’m guessing from your post you might have tried another brand of software in a trial. If that is true and neither trial software nor updated Roxio software will work then the only thing that might help is the firmware update from LG.

8. Rumble

Rumble Thread Starter

I shall do that.

The program detects that it is there, but I think it doesn't recognise it as being a burner, just a ROM.

Also, I noticed you were helping jdam with his sound card?
    It looks like an error that I was getting at first as well. I got an Aopen motherboard that has a soundcard on it. When you go to install the soundcard drivers off the cd, it asks to either install the four drivers it comes with (im not sure what they all are but that is the VIA four, that it looks like his message says) or just the soundcard driver. I dunno if that helps or not but it is interesting.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!