1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd burner install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theberlig, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

Help!!
    I got a Pacific Digital CD burner for Xmas and have been trying to install with no success (their installation manual isn't very descriptive). Anyway, I installed my cd drive so I thought this couldn't be that much harder, but I am totally lost!! I have the drive attached to the ide cable and the audio cable attached(which I don't think I even need), but not connected to anything in my computer. Not sure what to do with the jumper settings. Do I connect the burner to my CD drive somehow? And what about the power cable??? I really hate to ask such dumb questions, but I've tried calling the tech support # several times and haven't had any luck except leaving my name and phone # for them to call me back (which they haven't). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tam

2. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

Did the manual show how to set the CD-RW to a <b>slave</B> configuration? That would be the "jumper" set up on the back. You said that you hooked up the other CD ROM, set this one up the same way with the other connector that is on the ribbon to your CD ROM. There is usually only one input for a CD sound wire so disregard it.

Good Luck!

3. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

Well, it kind of said how to set the jumper settings, but it says to set the CD-RW to master and the ROM to slave. But to set the jumper settings, do you just take the little piece and move it over to master/slave or is there some kind of connection that needs to be made? Also, what about the power cable? Do I need to do anything with that?

4. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

Every manufacturer wants to be the master in computers. Yeah, just take out the plastic thing on the pins showing and put it to the ones they say is the slave. You can always take out the other CD Rom and set it to slave, but that's too much of a hassle. Unless you can get to the pins easily.

The power cable is the same one as in the CD ROM. Most computers have about six of them hanging off the power supply. Just as long as it fits! (angled corners up)

Good Luck! <font size="1"> report back too</font>

5. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

Thanks for the help - here's another question. The CD Rom drive doesn't have the little thing to put at master or slave? Do i need that? Or if I set the CD-RW drive to slave will that work?
    Thanks again.
    Tam

6. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

Wow, the CD Rom has no configuration settings? Never heard of that. Yeah, you will have to set the new one to slave then. That's how mine is set up and it works great.

Good Luck!

7. theberlig

theberlig Thread Starter

Yahoo!! The CD burner seems to be working!!! You are the GREATEST!! Thanks for all your help!! I'm going to try and load the software now!! If I have any problems with that, I'll be back, if not, let me just say that you have been an incredible help and I appreciate it very much!!
    Thanks again,
    Tam

8. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

Cool! remember now, no bootleggin music CD's! <font size="1"> he he </font>

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice