1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Burner messed up sound - please help me

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cytrix, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cytrix

cytrix Thread Starter

Well I installed a cd burner in my computer recently and everything was going fine untill I got to a small plug for sound. I don't have my computer open right now so I'm speaking from memory. I plugged the small plug for sound into the sound card (I think)? There were 3 places to plug and 2 were already occupied (1 by my cd drive). I thought that the installation went fine (the cd burner and all my other drives worked) untill I tried to play a cd in my computer. I would put it in a cd and the cd player would come up and act as if it was playing (like it would show the tracks and seconds elapsed), but no sound. I can play sound fine with mplayer2 though. Also if I open sound recorder and record something and then try to play it it is silent. If I save it and open it with mplayer2 it plays (but with a lot of static which I never had before). I unplugged the cd burner from the card hoping it would solve the problem but no luck. Can anybody help me out? Sorry if this sounds like I'm computer illiterate its just I rarely work inside of my computer, much more often on it (I program). I'm just a little embarassed because this is something I probly should know about. Thanks for any help!

2. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hey cytex,

IMHO, most sound cards only has one spot for one CD player. To test this theory, take the wire from your current CD-ROM off the sound card and replace it with the CD-RW speaker wire and try it. Those other connections on the sound card are for the modem and other periferals.

3. cytrix

cytrix Thread Starter

You're probably right about that (because the modem sound doesn't work either), but I can't plug the cd burner in it and test because it doesn't work with my current cd drive. Is it possible that I fried it or something? If I did how easy ( + expensive) would it be to replace it? Thanks

4. cytrix

cytrix Thread Starter

please...

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

So, where are you at right now? The cd player is installed and connected correctly to the soundcard?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!