1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Burner Not Burning

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Fatebringer, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fatebringer

Fatebringer Thread Starter

Hello,

Recently, it has come to my attention that my computers CD burner is no longer functioning. The other day I was trying to burn some pictures to give to a friend, and it would go through the process, but then at the end it would say that there had been a problem, and the program needed to close. The result is a ruined CD-R, and no files burned anywhere.

This is beginning to become a problem, as I used to use it to regularly back up word onto CD-RW's and would like to do so again.

This problem persists as well on burning music, or anything for that matter, and I'm out of ideas.

Please, if anyone knows anything about this, tell me, and I'll get you whatever statistics, logs, or anything needed to diagnose this.

Thanks,
    --Fate

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, what software are you using? Many burning packages have a "simulation" function that goes through all the motions, but doesn't actually burn the disk. This is to test if the burn would be successful.

3. Fatebringer

I am unsure of what you mean. I put a blank CD in the computer, and I open it as a folder, I copy/paste what I want into it, and then I click burn, and the Windows thing pops up to guide me through it.

When I do audio CD's I use Media Player, though I did once try with iTunes.

4. Enfrcr911

Enfrcr911

Not tonight...I`m out just at a bit,....dont ask...dammid...all ...I wanted was....Just to do the S-video config.....heck...im tired..im out

5. JohnWill

Enfrcr911, is there some reason you posted this totally nonsense post here?

6. JohnWill

OK, you're using XP's native CD burning. If Media Player and iTunes also fail, then it's a common issue. The first stop would be to uninstall all the optical drives in Device Manager, reboot and see if that get's it's mind right. If it still doesn't work, it may be time to test the CD-RW drive in another machine, it may simply have failed.

7. Fatebringer

I'm a little confused when you say optical drives. I wouldn't consider myself skilled with a computer per-say, but I am sure I can find them... once I know where I should look. I'm unfamiliar with the Device Manager.

PS: The drive is in a laptop, I don't think I can move it to another machine, can I?

8. JohnWill

Being a laptop, I guess not. :) Optical drives are CD/DVD drives of any variety. Since you only have one, that's the one to uninstall, then reboot. Windows will regenerate it, and hopefully solve the problem.

9. Fatebringer

Urgh... I deleted the driver, let it come back, and the thing still refuses to work.

This, exactly,
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/Fatebringer/Problem.jpg

Is my last recourse truly to send it back and get a new one?

10. JohnWill

Can you read disks with the drive?

11. Fatebringer

Yeah, it seems to work in pretty much all other respects, just not this.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/460058