1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD burner not recognized after upgrade to win98se

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trunker, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trunker

trunker Thread Starter

Reformated main drive to install win98se (from win95) and now my hp8250i will not operate. Put a CD in and I get 'device not ready'. Won't read either CD-R's or RW's. Just sits there with the light on. Checked everything in device manager and says everything is installed and working properly. Says I have a model 8290 installed but someone told me they are probably shared drivers. Uninstalled and reinstalled the cd software and win98 with no luck.
    The 'EasyCD Creator' software installed and runs fine and will read my CD-rom which also works fine.
    When I run their troubleshooting the self-test says 'ASPI layer may be missing or corrupted'. When I downloaded a program from hp to check the ASPI installation it said it was 'properly installed'. I've checked for updates at their site and all I get is 'You already have latest version of toolbox' (their diagnostic utility). When I tried their support page I didn't receive an answer.
    If I try to updated the drivers windows puts windows drivers in and calls it a generic drive and it still doesn't work.
    I've reformated before with win95 with no problems.
    I'm at my witt's end here trying to figure out why this is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Chum

Chum

Have you tried removing the device in "device manager" and then letting Windows reinstall it?

3. trunker

trunker Thread Starter

yes, done everything except physical remove and and reinstall the drive!

4. slipe

slipe

Win98 will load the driver. Don’t put any in yourself. It appears the driver is in as it should be.

I think the HP 8250 was actually three different drives made by three different manufacturers. The different numbers denote the different manufacturers and is normal.

I think it came with EZCD 3.5. Adaptec has washed their hands of EZCD and Roxio is not supporting 3.5. You probably need the software updated and there is nowhere I know of to do that.

Try this – it is a version of Sony CD Extreme that Sony was giving away free for a while. It works on most burners and almost certainly yours. I know It works in Win98 because I have used it with my Plextor in both Win98 and SE. http://151.199.152.63:8080/extreme.html

Go here and get the manual: http://sony.storagesupport.com/dlagreement.zulu?dlid=cdrw/downloads/cdx_manual102500.pdf
    If you right click the submit button you can download it to your computer using “Save target as”.

It is better software than EZCD IMHO but does not include a packet writing program if you use that.

Let us know if it works.

5. trunker

trunker Thread Starter

Ok, I'll try it but I don't think that is the problem. The Easy Creator software seems to be working fine. The real problem seems to be that the burner isn't communicating with computer. It shows up in explorer, I can even open and close the tray (with the on-screen buttons) and when I put a cd in and close it the light blinks then stays on as it always did but that's it.
    I even tried re-installing win95 thinking it was a win98 problem but have the same problem on both systems now.

6. trunker

trunker Thread Starter

Ok, success so far! I am able to read my backup (RW) disk finally, although I can't copy anything to it I can copy from it and hopefully make another backup from all indications I've seen so far (It's 2:30 am and I'm not awake enough to try everything yet). Seems a lot more user friendly (and hopefully not as unstable) than the EZCD program.
    Can I copy to and erase from a RW CD (use it like a extra drive) just like I did with the EZ creator software? Can I copy audio tracks to my computer so I can burn them to my burner (my cd-rom is junk)? If so, then I'm set.
    Thanks!

7. slipe

slipe

You were not ever using EZ CD Creator to “copy to and erase from a RW CD (use it like a extra drive)”. You were using a program called DirectCD, which is packet writing software and usually installs with EZCD. As I said in my previous post – the Sony software you downloaded doesn’t have a packet writing component.

You probably have DirectCD version 2.5 and nobody is supporting that either. Packet written RW is a lousy place for important information. The table of contents is always in RAM when the disc is inserted and the computer is on, so if you have a lockup or power failure you can’t read the disc because the TOC is gone. You can accidentally overwrite or erase something. Since it is showing as a drive a virus that attacks files could also attack the files on the CD. It is also incredibly slow for anything but small files. Most people stop using packet writing after they have lost some data or have read enough posts by people who have.

The Sony is nice for data. If you select “Data” from the opening wizard it automatically writes session at once, closing the session but leaving the CD open so you can add more data. This is called multi-session. I organize my stuff in a folder in Windows Explorer and just burn the folder multi-session. You can drag and copy to your heart’s content to such a folder.

With the copy utility you can chose to have the image sent via the HD and use the burner as both source and destination. For an audio compilation you can do the same.

Since you seem to be keeping the Sony software, it is the same software as Prassi Primo CD Plus. It was also released as PSX Copy 2000. It will copy PSX games at full speed. You can get updates for the PX engine which is for the PSX copy at Prassi Europe: http://www.prassieurope.com/ The regular Prassi updates for the main program will not work with the Sony. Don’t upgrade the Sony software from the Sony site as the upgrades include some Sony drivers which you don’t need.

Another program you might want to try is Feurio. Their demo is not restricted in features or how long you can use it. A lot like WinZip – it is shareware but you don’t ever have to register. It is excellent audio recording software. It is better than any mastering program for audio recording. http://www.feurio.net/English/index.shtml

Now that you have indicated you have been packet writing, download the Roxio UDF reader to be sure you can read your old packet written CDs OK: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/udfwin/index.html

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice