1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Burner problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jo Sarjana, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jo Sarjana

Jo Sarjana Thread Starter

:eek:
    Hello there from sunny humid Sydney...all the best for 2002!

Last December I lashed out and purchased a cd burner which was installed by the company. I keep having trouble trying to burn a music cd and also data. These are the messages I am given by my pentium II:

1. Shares the same IDE bus. It looks like your source and destination drive for the "on the fly" copy process are connected to the same IDE bus. We would strongly recommend to connect your source and destination drive to different IDE buses.

***However I click on NEXT anyway and then get the following message:

2. This drive does not support the audio extraction.

***It also wont work with copying data files.

I phoned the company where I purchased the burner and explained my problem. He said my cd drive was an old one. (Actually it is 3 years old only). I was angry about this and asked whether they actually checked that all was compatible prior to selling me the burner, and once installed, whether they tried to burn anything.

Can anyone help me here?? I checked out my system info and tried to print it, but it was a whopping 85 pages - so didn't bother. Is there a way I can save this info into Word?? I can print it at work then and have a copy handy to check if necessary.

Many thanks
    Cheers
    Jo

2. slipe

slipe

I take it you are using Nero – that is a standard message from the emperor if your CD-ROM and burner are on the same IDE channel and you record on the fly. It is probably hooked up according to most burner manufacturer’s instructions with the burner and CD-ROM together on the secondary IDE. I would leave it that way for now.

You can’t very well ignore the message about not being able to extract digital audio. You can’t use that device as a source for copying an audio CD. Some old CD-ROM drives can’t extract digital audio – it is unusual for a burner so I am guessing the message involves your putting an audio CD in the CD-ROM and trying to copy it. If that is the case you have to use the burner as both the source and destination and copy via the HD. Make sure you have about 800Mb of space available on the drive or partition you store the temp image on.

You say you can’t write audio and you can’t write data either. It isn’t logical that you would finally come out of the closet after a year and admit your burner can’t record anything, so could you be more specific about what it will and will not do.

3. Jo Sarjana

Hey Slipe

Thanks for your help.

I'm not in any closet here. I purchased the burner last December (ie 4 weeks ago).

I'll try copying audio to hard drive and burning from there.

thanks
    Jo

4. slipe

slipe

That particular quirk of English usage has always tripped me up. I would say I bought the burner in December if I meant last month and December a year ago for the previous one. People will often say last December meaning a year ago and seldom last December for last month. The British don’t think we speak their language here anyway.

In any case I didn’t understand your comment " ***It also wont work with copying data files." It would seem you have more problems than just DAE if you can’t write files from your HD. DAE is also not an issue if you can’t copy a CD with data. Have you been able to burn anything?

5. Jo Sarjana

no, Snipe, I havn't been able to burn anything at all.

6. slipe

slipe

7. Jo Sarjana

steady on there ... I'm off home now and will check all the Q's you have asked and report back first thing tomorrow. Salut

Jo

8. Jo Sarjana

Hi Snipe, sorry for delay. I've been travelling and away from my PC.

I have a Ricoh CD-R/RW MP7163A 16x10x32x.
    I am using Nero.

A friend suggested that my cdrom was a bit "old" - it is a 24 x Panasonic IDE drive. Could this be true?

Jo

9. Jo Sarjana

Nero version is MET OEM Version 5.5.3.2. I don't know what firmware is/means.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice