1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Burners

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PODNickerz, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PODNickerz

PODNickerz Thread Starter

is it me, or are my burned cd's slower than commercial ones?

2. PODNickerz

errrr.....
    actually the burned cd i just made is stuffed up... :(

3. PODNickerz

lez give alittle more info...

i burned the cd using nero
    and after that, i put it back in and the computer can't read from it, the burner only has a blinking green light when it tries to read from the cd !

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I have found that although burners have a rated burn speed of 24x, 32x, etc., none will actually do that. I don't know why for sure; but, I suspect that it can be several reasons. I have found that if I want read-reliability, that I should never burn faster than 8x in my 32x burner. I have burned at 24x successfully; but, that is a rare thing. 12x is almost always successful; but, 8x is 100% good. 32x, the rated speed of my current burner, produces 100% failure.

For informational purposes, I'm running:
    P4 1800-MHz processor on a DFI board
    512 Megs of DDR RAM
    Acer/BenQ 32-10-40 burner

Also, I have had the same result with about 7 burners so it isn't just the burner. Also, I have used several different well-known name-brand CD-Rs (Verbatim, Memorex, etc.) rated at 24x or higher.

5. escrivner

escrivner

I agree with Alex. I run a newer TEAC 32X burner and use Nero. I always slow it to no more than 8X, 4X for highest quality and if I really want to ensure the CD will last.

Escrivner

6. PODNickerz

o, i didnt know that... :(
    because i did it at the same speed with another cd 2 days ago and didn't encounter probs i did today
    Thanks

anyway, escrivner , what did u mean when you said to ensure that the cd will last? do you mean the cd will only last for a year or something
    :confused:

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are many reasons for CD's to come as coasters. You may have mismatched the speed of the media and player. If your media is rated at 8x, recording it at a faster rate may be problematic. If you want lots of reading about CD media and capabilities, cruise over to CDR-Info.

8. AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

could be copy protection. the newest versions are not so easily burned successfully. ie safedisk 2.7 etc

9. PODNickerz

ok, Thanks for your helps :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice