1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Burning - 780/900 MB

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by RPhox, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RPhox

RPhox Thread Starter

Does anybody know of any CD Burning software that supports the new 780 MB and 900 MB disc sizes?

Thanks.

2. Rockn

Rockn

That would eb a limitation of the media and the CDR, not the software.

3. RPhox

RPhox Thread Starter

I don't get it.

I bought a disc that has a 900 mb capacity but the software I run only has a setting of up to 740 mb.

Today I tried to burn a 780 mb disc for the first time. I set the software for 740 and got a write-error at the very end of the disc. something about a "lead". But the disc seems to be complete. I don't want to try the 900mb until I get this straightened out.

4. Rockn

Rockn

What model is your burner??

5. RPhox

RPhox Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba DVD-ROM SDR1002 which came with VOB Instant Wizard CD Gold software. Plus I just downloaded the latest version of Nero Burning which also doesn't seem to support the new disc size.

6. Rockn

Rockn

7. slipe

slipe

Too bad we can’t use your approach. We could keep our 2X burners forever – just get software that tells it to burn at 32X.

Most of the new 24X burners will do the 90 minute CDs and about half will do 99 minutes. They aren’t that great as many entertainment players or even older CD-ROMs can’t read them.

The official color book standard is 650 Mb. Anything above that is unofficial and many burners don’t show the capability for the very large capacity CDs even when they can burn them. If the latest VOB and Nero both show 740, I would presume that is the most you are going to be able to do with your burner.

8. RPhox

RPhox Thread Starter

So, if I download a 60 or 70mb mp3 which converts to an 800mb .wav file then there is no way that I can burn it on to a cd so I can play it on my stereo?

BTW, I thought the "x" ratings referred to speeds - not size. What difference does the disc capacity make? That's like saying a cassette player or VCR can only handle 60 minute tapes. And if you want to play 90 min. cassettes or 360 min video tapes, you have to go buy a new one. Doesn't make much sense to me. I only bought the Toshiba last year and already it's obsolete!?!

9. kitmac

kitmac

Hi,

Two points;

1) Yes, you are limited by your burner. My old Samsung 8 speed CDRW wouldn't recognise 90+min CDRs. It just saw tham as 80min/700mb discs. But my new LITE-ON 12 speed does.

2) As far as I know, EZ CD Creator 5 and before simply won't let you even try to burn to a disk with a higher capacity than 700mb.
    But the latest versions of Nero will let you - but like has been said here, you're asking the hardware/software/media to do stuff it wasn't really designed to do - so be prepared for occasional trashed disk.

Hope this is some help.

Best regards,
    Kit

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice