1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD burning speeds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chuckd1991, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chuckd1991

chuckd1991 Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. I just bought a new 48X CD burner that came with Nero Burning Rom 5. When I copy a CD it limits me to a 20x burn speed. My CDs have a 32X max and my DVD drive can read at 40X. How can I get it to burn at a higher speed?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried buffering the CD to disk to see if it's connected to the read speed. Remember, a 40x speed is only what happens at the outer tracks, the start of a CD on the inner tracks is much more pedestrian speeds. :)

3. slipe

slipe

The digital audio extraction rate or your readers is often lower than the rated read speed. Run CD Speed on your reader for the DAE speeds: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=cdspeed.html

Burners will check the media on their own for record speed. Some media doesn’t suit some burners at the rated speed of the CDs. You can bypass the feature on some burners and on others you are stuck with what it wants to burn at with a particular media. You might try some different CDs if you can’t record at full speed from the hard drive.

The burners increase speed at generally the same rate as the reader. If you have it set for 48X they will both start off around 20X and work their way up – but the burner should say it is using a 48X burn speed when it does that. The final speed of the burner is what is reflected on the burn speed in Nero, and that would relate to the final speed of the reader. You don’t compare the initial speed of the reader to the max speed of the burner.

Usually when the reader can’t keep up with the burner it will just record at full speed and use the buffer underrun protection to let the reader catch up. My guess is that it doesn’t like your media.

4. simonkeeps

simonkeeps It's My Birthday!

It will vary depend on whether you are burning
    data (which is quite fast) or music or video.
    The 48X is just a maximum speed and probably
    using USB 2.0 (assuming this is an external drive)
    and you only have USB 1.1 My burner also says
    up to 40X but since I have USB 1.1 my data burns
    at 24X and my music burns at 16X. Either way it
    is pretty fast unless you have a CD factory going
    there.

5. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

In Start Menu go to Start > Programs > ahead Nero > Nero Toolkit > Nero Drive Speed. Click on Options and add the speeds there. I think then you will be able to write at higher speeds.

6. Mustnged

Mustnged

It also depends what you are trying to record. Data discs will record at higher speeds. Audio needs to be ripped from CD first, which is way slower. If you wanna increase recording speed, copy the source disk to your Hard drive first, then to CDRW. Going CD to CDRW is definitely gonna be slower.

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Are you sure the burner doesn't have a designation like:
    24 x 16 x 48. This may very a little of course.

If so the 48 refers to the read spead, the 16 is the re-writable speed and the 24 is the write speed. If you know this and I'm pointing out the obvious I apologize but I don't see too many drives that burn at 48x. It would look lsomthing like this:
    48 x 36 x 60.

Am I off the mark here?

8. simonkeeps

simonkeeps It's My Birthday!

Right on the $, dude. But I do believe the one
    fellow is right, Nero has a drive speed program
    bundled with it that can increase the burning
    speed of your drive. But is it really necessary
    16X or 20X aint real slow. Your burning a 60 minute
    CD in only 3 or 4 minutes.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!