1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD burning with Wxp's builtin cd burning utility

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by preet_kumar, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. preet_kumar

preet_kumar Thread Starter

My OS is windows xp home SP2; my system is Gateway Select with 1GH AMD Athlon processor, 385 MB RAM, 32 GB hard drive with 27 GB free;
    _NEC DV-5700A DVD/CD ROM internal drive and IDE CD R/RW 4x4x24 internal drive.

When I write on a CD using xp's built in Cd writing utility, I cannot read the newly written data in the RW drive but can read it in the DVD drive and can also read it in the CD RW drive after I reboot the computer. Another inexplainable feature is that when I look at the properties of a CD (that has been written in the RW drove) in Windows explorer, used space shown is only the space used by files in the root directory and not by all the files.

I have two questions. 1) Is this inability to read newly written data in the RW drive without rebooting the computer, a feature of Windows XP or of the CD writing utility that is built in the OS. If it is a feature of the OS, is there a fix that would enable the data to be read after being written without a reboot? 2)Does Easy Media Creator 7 Basic by Roxio have a feature that enables newly written data to be read without reboot?

Thanks.
    Preet

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

i use roxio cd creater 5 and yes it reads the disk without reboot - even though i have xp on a few machines with cdrw never used the built in facility

3. preet_kumar

preet_kumar Thread Starter

etaf,
    Thank you vey much for your response to my questions.

Preet

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401978