1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD burning with XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DudleyDoRite, Feb 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DudleyDoRite

DudleyDoRite Thread Starter

Hi all

Just installed XP today, tried to burn some CD's. The process was great, prob is I got errors on disk and made a few coasters. Is there a way to do simulated burns, or figger out why there are errors? I tried a RW disk even and now its a coaster too. Anyone else have this prob, or input about this? Adaptec software sucked, but at least I could eventually make it work. XP should at least have an error message to tell me what is wrong.

2. Sponsor

3. brianF

brianF

xp doesn't support test burns according to microsoft

Personally I think Nero is the best but it's not freeware

www.ahead.de

I think there is a demo if you want to give it a try

4. Massive

Massive

I also think that Nero is the best. I wish you're burner have BurnProof it kinda help, maybe you're trying to copy a CD that has errors so you might want to try "Fast Error Skipping"?

5. Emtronics

Emtronics

I agree about Nero and there is a DEMO version to try on their site as brianF posted. Adaptec is pretty darn good also but you know you need the 5.0 version for XP??
    I have used XP to drag and drop files to my writer using a CD-R disk with no problems whatsoever. I will tell you this, and it may or maynot apply to all, but if you have an internal ZIP drive, it plays havoc on writers that are on a VIA chipset motherboard. This can cause errors in both the writer and the zip in XP. Iomega has a "fix" that you can download but I have found this troublesome. The program locks the mouse while the CD is loading or unloading which after 30 seconds can be a little un-nerving.

6. TechChick

TechChick

I don't think it's possible to burn a CD-RW coaster. Just erase the disk and reuse it. Unless you've physically damaged the disk, it can be reused.

7. marcg

marcg

I recently just got a cd burner and have been experiencing difficulty in creating a successful burn. It worked a few times but has failed more than its worked. It keeps telling me about how the computer needs to provide a continuous stream of data to the burning process im guessing. Anyhow, Im not sure if its the computer actually not providing this continuous flow of data or if its the cd's themselves being errored or defective right off the bat. Because there was nothing different about the way the computer was setup at the time of the successful vs. nonsuccessful burns. The only program that I was able to get to burn successfully (at least the times that it worked anyhow, lol) was Acoustica's MP3 CD Burner version 1.13. It had a function on there "Use Burn Proof Technology". I thought it was soem that was software related, but I guess your cd burner has to also support that. Is that right? And if so, if your cd burner doesnt support it and you have that function checked, could that cause problems in burning successfully?? Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanx

marcg

8. DudleyDoRite

Techchick Thanks for the tip. I erased that RW and it worked again, The coffee cup stains on it dint affect it at all. I did hear from a friend that you can make coasters out of RW's if you close the burn incorrectly. I guess he should know, cuz he's got enough coasters to host a banquet.

I love the way that XP burning software works. I was told that you can use your puter while burning with the XP software, but with all the others including NERO, you can't even sneeze near the mouse. Think that is true???

I guess its not smart to defrag in the background while burning CD's huh?

9. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Another good program to use is CDClone.

10. marcg

marcg

Yeah, if it were me in the situation of turning cd-r's into coasters, I would consider getting a burner with burn proof technology. They may be a little more expensive, but in time, buying all of those cd's can add up to alot more than the extra money for a quality burner. Thats just me, cuz I went through the same thing with my burner when I first got one, I burnt 3 out of 10 successful cd's. Not good. Alrighty, cya later.

marcg

11. kramnnim

kramnnim

I use my PC while burning CDs, but if you dont have alot of memory, you might get a "buffer underrun" error, which makes a nice coaster, =P

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have no problem using Nero. I can be downloading a file on the net, playing a game, and defragging a partition there are no errors with Nero’s software. When I used win9x, you are right you cannot do anything else just burn the cd. Win2k is just about bullet proof.

13. DudleyDoRite

cjdriver

so lemme get this strait. The reason I have probs burning and doing other things is not cuz adaptec cant' do it, its cuz windows9x cant' do true multitasking. Once upgraded to XPee or 2k, I should be able to multitask while burning? Coool gotta try that with nero

14. JoeD.

JoeD.

I'm really getting close to getting Windows XP soon maybe almost anytime now really! Anyway what i'm wondering is will XP burning software pick up where the Adaptec burning software left off. Or do I have to start all over again from scratch? A few postings above mentioned that you can install other burnering software with XP but Adaptec has to be version #5. Is that true?
    Thanks!

15. Emtronics

Emtronics

True, ADAPTEC 5 is the only version that will work with XP. I use NERO Burning CD Software on XP Home but I can not use InCD software that comes with it because something with InCD messes with all my drives. (Not the C drive) When InCD is running in the system tray, I can not access my CD Rom, Writer, Zip250, or even my A drive. ADAPTEC also screws a little bit with XP when AutoPlay is engaged. See my post on this board HERE . Also, go for a full install of XP from scratch and not an upgrade. I did on a Pent.III, 600, 384 RAM, 32mg Nvidia TNT/Pro, Zip250, Yamaha Writer, 50X CD Rom, USR 56K internal modem, SoundBlaster Live!, with a WD 20gig 7200 rpm hard drive and XP set up everything including my H/P printer without loading a single driver. As for XP burning, I keep a CD/R disk in my writer and drop and drag files whenever I need to save something to a disk, and XP writes to it, deletes from it without any problems whatsoever from an Explorer window. It's like having a 750+ or - mg floppy disk. By the way, the same company that makes ADAPTEC makes the writing software in WindowsXP, Roxio ( I think that is spelled right??) Over the years, I have messed with Win3.11, Win95 (in various flavors), Win98se and I have found XP to be outstanding. No wonder Bill Gates is filthy rich.

16. JoeD.

JoeD.

Maybe a better way of asking the question is ....... I have put some stuff on cd's using Adaptec 4 software and never closed them out. Will XP read and add to the cd's that I have already started?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/67704