CD Connections

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ebony

Although I have burned a number of CDs when I use "Nero" it tells me that my source and destination are on the same bus and recommends to connect them to different buses.
How do I do this?
Lee

Your computer must be configured with the cdrom and the cdrw on the same ide channel, the secondary.
The primary for sure has your hard drive.
You would have to swap devices, your cdrom from the secondary to the primary and if you have a second device on the primary you would need to move that to the secondary.

Personnally if it's working good I wouldn't bother

For starters you have to take the cover off the computer. The burner and CD-ROM are probably on the IDE secondary bus with the hard drive by itself on the primary.

The CD-ROM and burner are on the same ribbon cable that has two connectors in series. They also have jumpers in the back that make one the master and the other slave. If two devices are on the same channel one must be master and the other slave. If they are both set to cable select get back on that as it is rare.

What you have to end up with is two devices on the cable that has the hard drive and one on the secondary that originally had two. The hard drive is already jumpered to master, so you have to set the jumpers on the CD-ROM to slave, but it in the bottom bay, and hook the cable that now goes to the HD to both devices. If the cable that goes to the hard drive does not have two connectors you probably have to buy a new cable unless you have an older system. If the hard drive is ATA66 or faster it needs a special cable and you can’t just use the cable that is now hooked to the secondary. If your hard drive is ATA 33 or slower you can just swap the cables.

The burner, which is now by itself on the secondary has to be jumpered to master if it isn’t already.

What you have done is separate the data flow between the CD-ROM and burner so that data can flow faster between them. A single IDE bus can only carry one signal at a time so you are multiplexing the communication between the two. If you record from the hard drive to the burner they are still on separate channels.

If you can record on the fly at full speed I wouldn’t bother. Many CD-ROM drives can’t keep up with audio at higher speeds no matter how you arrange the bus. If you are copying mostly audio, I would run speed tests on the digital audio extraction (DAO) of the CD-ROM before making any changes.

Most manufacturers recommend hooking the CD-ROM and burner up the way you have them. Separating the data flow can help in some cases.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online