1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD created on another computer is unreadable?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sahm70, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sahm70

sahm70 Thread Starter

I created a data CD on a local library computer. The CD contain(ed/s) .tif files from microfilms that I was viewing. Prior to leaving the library, I verified that I could view the files in Windows Picture Viewer and they were there. When I got home to look over my data, my CD drive kept spinning away and when I checked the "D" drive on the computer, it said free space O bytes; total size 0 bytes.

Please tell me that my 2 hours of research is not lost! Is there anything I can do to retrieve this information?

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Did you finalize the CD? Sometimes you can not view on another machine until you have done that.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What software did you use to burn the CD? Do you know if it is burned as a single or multi-session disc or as a UDF formatted Disc?

If you look at the bottom of the disc with a strong light can you see any color differences between the inner recorded area and the outer blank area?

4. sahm70

sahm70 Thread Starter

There is definately a color difference between the inner section and the outer area. Is this good news?

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The fact that you have the two different colors confirms that something was burned to the CD. Now it is a matter of figuring out how to read it.

If you are using Windows XP on your PC, here is some information from Microsoft on possible causes and possible solutions for your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640

Have you considered talking to someone at the library? You may not be the first person to be in this situation and they may have a ready answer.

6. sahm70

sahm70 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help! You've given me hope that all may not be lost! I will be going to the research library tomorrow and will ask at that time. They're closed today, so I was starting to sweat the situation!

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you "created" the CD by dragging and dropping files to it as if it was a floppy disk, and did not then need to perform a "burn" process as a defined step, the files will be in UDF "packet writing" format, which means you need the appropriate software to read them.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice