1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD drive burner not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BuilderJim, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuilderJim

BuilderJim Thread Starter

Apparently my burner stopped burning right after I started making personal DVD-RW's. Sometimes, the burner doesn't even recognize any CD's I put in it, no matter what CD quality it is. This has happened before, but I lose all of my files after having to reinstall windows (plus, this is the THIRD time:mad:). My computer operating system was originally an XP but now I have many operating systems running but I don't know if it has anything to do with it.
    It can still run but I can't burn CD's and most are not being recognized. Any solutions?:confused:

2. pip22

pip22

Can't you start off with a empty hard drive to get rid of all the multiple installations and other junk, then re-install Windows from scratch on to a 'clean' drive? It's the only way to give Windows the best chance of working properly and minimise problems.

As for losing all your files everytime you have to re-install Windows, have you never heard of backing up?
    Buy an external hard drive and copy all your files to it while Windows is working -- and don't forget to keep your backups up-to-date.

3. BuilderJim

BuilderJim Thread Starter

Like I said, I did a factory reset on my computer which erases all memory off of the hard drive (even computer backups) in order for the burner/cd drive to work normally again. But either after a couple weeks or months, it does it again and I really don't want to have to keep on reloading everything back onto the comp.

And yes I back up my personal files onto external hard drives. But the annoying this is to reinstall all of my programs on it again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice