1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd drive D: is not accessable

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by men8ifr, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. men8ifr

men8ifr Thread Starter

If I insert a blank CD into either of my Cd writers I get asked if I would like to open a writeable folder etc which I say yes to as i want to copy files there then write the CD.

I guess windows knows it is a blank CD OK but then it comes up with D: (or E:) is not accessible. If I try to select the drive from my computer/explorer it says the same thing.

I have tried many different blank CD's - all do exactly the same. Also there is no searching as if a drive cannot read a CD properly.

If I put a written CD in either drive it can read the files no problem - the problem is only with blank CD's or writing CD's...

As usual any help is gratefully received I don't have a clue how to go about fixing this.

2. SBruce

SBruce

The other day I saw on some forum that people had trouble with their CD's not being recognized. It was suggested that the cause may be due to LABELS on the CD causing the trouble. Just a suggestion to check out.
    Bruce

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Make this check: My Computer>Right click on the drive>Properties>Recording Tab
    Make sure the "Enable recording - - " box is checked.

{redoak}

4. zemo

zemo

if you can open your case and check you ied cables and your p/w input
    make sure you turn it off first tho XF

5. men8ifr

men8ifr Thread Starter

I'm using the same blank CD's I've used for a long time without problems so don't think its that...

6. men8ifr

men8ifr Thread Starter

If I right click on a drive (there are 2 that do not work for recording) there is no 'recording' tab only General, Autoplay, Hardware and InCd

If I click the InCD tab there is a tick in the drive capabilities - recorder box.

7. men8ifr

men8ifr Thread Starter

The drives will read CD's and DVD's fine could the cables stop them both writing to blank CD's but allow them to read correctly?

8. men8ifr

men8ifr Thread Starter

When I've just tried another CD it no longer asks me if I want to open a writeable folder etc but immediately comes up with D is not accessible - incorrect function.

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"m": After right clicking the drive, left click Properties at the bottom of the menu. That will bring up several tabs, including "Recording."

10. men8ifr

men8ifr Thread Starter

There is no recording tab present.....

11. men8ifr

men8ifr Thread Starter

Any more ideas? Thanks for the replies so far - I fear the only way to get it to work will be to re-install windows...: (

12. Baffled69

Baffled69

I know it's no help but I have the same problem. Unfortunately I cannot reinstall as the sytem came already configured and my backup CD's are not recognised. Neither are some CD's with photos. DVD's it does not like at all but some CD's I have created it does. Could it be a configuration problem between media player(s) and device drivers? My other (not computer linked) DVD players recognise that there is data on the disks.

13. SBruce

SBruce

I hope you have cleared your problem. I was just passing alone some info I had read on some other web site regarding "CD not recognized"
    Bruce.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice